Thread: Mac Airport

T3h Ch3F

Mac Airport

Greetings, I am about to install a Mac Airport in my house, and I have heard many conflicting reports on the "placing" of the hardware.

Just looking for personal experiences, some say to put it in the basement, some say in the attic! I am confused as both places seem too damp.

I look forward to your coments/suggestions.

P:

Olas

www.irisatlanta.com

Home Of the AO Member Discount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best would be to put it at a location that gives you the best coverage. Only way to find out would be to try placing it at different locations and see which one has the best coverage. Just note down where you are most likely to use your system. then place the airport in a couple of locations and see which location gives you a connection at the places you want. If you have an attic and a basement I am guessing that the airport will not cover all locations in the house.

T3h Ch3F

Thanks bro

I am indeed in the situation that you described. The MAC tech person, that I spoke to on the phone suggested the "Attic or Basement" solution.

After talking to him for a few seconds I realizred he is prolly living in his parents basement, thus the excellent connection from his airport. hehe

Just looking for anyone who has been in this situation, I live in ATL. humid always.

TY Man!

Olas

www.irisatlanta.com

Home of the AO discount!!!!!!!!

Plug the base station in and use AP Grapher to do a signal survey. AP Grapher is a tool that displays wireless signal strength in real time. I found it at Versiontracker.com, and it's freeware.

DA

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Put it in the basement. It keeps the signals from going tooo far out of the house. You will still be able to pick it up outside, but not as strong. In the attic, you can pick the signal up a couple blocks away.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

T3h Ch3F

Thanks

Thank you all for your suggestions!