Thread: Hmm Security

Hmm Security

I want to secure a page. But the trick is, I am trying to stay away from PHP and SQL what would be the best, and most secure way to do that? Now, I can secure it using some encryption methods in HTML but I am not sure that is strong enough. I want something strong enough to with stand your everyday run of the mill hacker (sorry if term is used incorrectly).

Thanks

AO French Antique News Whore
    What do you mean by secure a page? That nobody can see your code source? That nobody can steal your image?
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Sorry, I don't know what is up with me for some reason I have had a hard time putting my thoughts into writing. Could be midterms or being sick or something. I want to password protect a page. You have to be authorized to view it. I am working on creating a htpasswd file the getting the permissions from there but I am not sure if there is a better way?

Sorry, I am so out of it that my posts aren't complete. I meant to say, I was using a htaccess.txt method of protecting it.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Yeah, there are a few ways to protect a webpage. The easiest way is to create an .htaccess file authentication in Apache servers, or use basic authentication on MS servers by going into the IIS and setting up the security on the folder. This will allow you to only allow certain people to access pages.

Hope that helps you along.

Check this site http://www.pagetutor.com/keeper/ for the best protection. It come in various of variant but the idea is simple, the password is the name of file who protect. If you want to protect Hello.html then your password is Hello.

Good Luck.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

GreekGoddess
    Um, I'd stay away from GateKeeper, I just checked it out. I can't believe they would even promote something that...insecure.

Take a look at these two sites:
    http://www.html-encryption.com/
    http://www.softlandmark.com/HtmlEncryption.htm

GreekGoddess, those look like shareware.. GateKeeper is free and in my view, very secure to protect a single web page. I personnally find it more secure that any encryption javascript code.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I would try all three and see which one you like best, In the end you are the one who has to update it so the choice is yours.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I wouldn't use any product to secure my stuff. If you want to be sure its secure, keep it all server side, and do it yourself.

just my .02

xmaddness - I wouldn't use any product to secure my stuff. If you want to be sure its secure, keep it all server side, and do it yourself.
    What would you suggest?