Thread: RH 8 modem drivers problem

Unhappy RH 8 modem drivers problem

Hi, i need to install a modem in a celeron 1ghz, 128mb, 20gig HD, BOX i have 2 modems that i can pick from. A conexant modem that i tried downloading the drivers from linuxant but the "so called Free version" didn't work it detects my modem but thats all, and i don;t plan to spend 14.99 or so for the complete drivers if its not going to work.
    And also i have a 3com ad1806js modem that i haven't tried to hook up but i don;t seem to find the drivers for.
    BTW its running RH 8

I know that this is not a DRIVER Forum but i would apreciate if someone would help me with this.

Thanks in advanced.

Have you tried just plugging in the card in seeing if RedHat will detect it? MOst older hardware can be detected and installed automaticall by this ever-mor-user-friendly OS.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

If they are win modems (modems that require windows to run) you could try http://www.linmodems.org
    [gloworange]And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict\'s veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. \"This is it... this is where I belong...\" I know everyone here... even if I\'ve never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...[/gloworange]

thanks for the replys i didn't had a change to do it earlyr, im going to try the 3com modem if that doesn't work well i will need to put it back on the network.
    But if some one still have a page were i can get those drivers please post it or PM with it.

well i installed the 3com modem, it reconize it as a generic modem, but when i activate the modem it hangs up on that i restarted the computer and when it was loading it said something about activating ppp0 device i forgot what it said, but it will stay there untill i rebooted the machine again.
    (when i hooked up in the network i didn't had any problems and it worked perfectly but with the modem it doesn't work )

any help would be apreciated

ppp is the protocol you use in order to connect to your isp through, yes you have well guessed, your modem. It means you're on the good way.
    I had got a similar problem with a 3com modem and RedHat 7.3. It had not recognized my modem and I thought I would have to try some specials drivers, I was wrong. I decided one day to configure an internet connection with the standards graphical tools provided with RedHat, I selected my modem as being connected to its traditional port com 1, I tried to launch a connection and...miracle, it worked!! And my internet connection was fine while RedHat have never listed my modem as being in my hardware.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

thanks kisscool im going to try that, if it doesn't work i'm going to buy a winmodem if that doesn't work also i'm going to install windows xp