SuSe 8.2

Thread: SuSe 8.2

Question SuSe 8.2

Hello AOers. Im just entering the suse realm , and i wanted to know what all of you thought of suse 8.2 ? I just recently ordered it and it should be here soon... I just want some suggestions on how it is , or is worth buying.. Thanks
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Elite Hacker
    I have used the ftp install version, and it was allright. I'm sure the version you buy is a lot better. I use redhat 9 currently which i got from linuxcd.com. I really like redhat 9, but I'm sure suse 8.2 is just as good, if not better.
    Have you used linux before or is this going to be first crack at it?

well if you are going to buy i recommend suse 9 profesional i havent had theoportunity to use it but some friends that have gave me a lot of positive feedback on that version of suse i don't know if someone has a diferent opinion on this
    i'm planing on buying it next week.

i use suse 8.2 right now and love it i would hold off for about another ten days though for 9 to come out it is sure to be better
    chown -r us ./bases

h3r3tic: I've used linux for about a year and a half... I used mandrake pretty much the whole time and slack for awhile.. But yea i ordered suse 8.2 and it should be good.. Thanks guys !
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

I know this is going slightly off topic but has anyone got any personal opions on Red Hat 9. I`ve just installed it. Its booting as i type. I am pretty much a linux newbie, i was really wondering if their were any major problems with it?

Elite Hacker
    homenet: I haven't really had any problems with it, you just have to get used to it like anything else.
    If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Where's Gore at? He can usually smell a SuSE post a mile away. Anyway, I use 8.2 and am a huge fan. I have used it as an ftp server, apache server and Samba server. All worked very well and I had no comnplaints whatsoever. However, I agree with whoever said to wait for 9. I'm planning on buying it the second it hits the shelves.

I purchased a copy and I'm just a Linux newbie. I read a review that mentioned something about the ease of installation, etc., etc....
    I couldn't have possibly gotten a better deal for my $40.00. Installation was flawless, Suse 8.2 found all my hardware, configured the box to talk to the internet, partitioned my drive for me.
    As far as looks, KDE is ten times better than Windows (IMO) and you can customize it to do just about anything you want anyway. I think KDE 3.1 ships with it... I'm probably wrong...
    Here's the kicker though, my girlfriend thought it was cool and she seemed to have almost no problem getting used to it. My point is that a total newbie can use the OS with almost no learning curve at all. Everything is in nice, 'easy to find' places.
    Suse 8.2 is very cool and I'd recommend it to any Linux newbie (like me!).

I"m using RH 9.0 right now on a DELL Inspiron 2650. The only problem i've had is with RealPlayer, trying to get the sound to work. Given up on it for a while. If anyone has any sugestions, please let me know. If not I'll probably post a new thread in a couple days.