Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boX0wner

boX0wner

Well people I have to admit I am boX0wner....I actually came close to signing posts v_Ln a couple of times - lol

why did i do it? well some of you may remember this post -> http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=245788

it was much the same question posted a while ago under my real account - i thought enough time had passed to see just how people would react to a similiar question posted by a newbie with a somewhat dodgy grasp of gramar

As you can see the reactions to each post were very different - but what is to say that a newbie does not have the same legitamite reasons for requesting information of that sort as a more senior member? yes a senior member is more established and has (hopefully) proven themsleves to be a respected member - but perhaps if treated better the newbie would have done become the same?

Perhaps it is time that we gave a little bit more benefit of the doubt to such questions - of course that is not to say that every person who comes on here claiming to have a valid reason for using unsavory software should be given all the answers - which could be used wrongly.....but perhaps steering them in the right direction like some members attempted to do??

for those of you with access to the addicts forum you can see my commentary on the thread here -> http://www.antionline.com/showthread...=671555&t=3231

and also the original experiment -> http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=245789

well it was intresting to see how peps reacted anyways - and perhaps will give us all something to think about as I know i for one am dif not immune to acting a lil heavy handed sometimes when it comes to newbies with out-of-the-norm questions

v_Ln

heh you guys were so evil to me >_<
    its ok tho - kinda what was expected -

DoD - ur stinky man if its not farts ur obsesed with its poop on SFC - hehe

boX0wner (aka v_Ln)

Very interesting. Bravo to you for making everyone think a little.

?? i didnt know that AO came along with tests...kinda lame...i will probably get negged for this post, but i believe that i dont need to be tested to see how kind i am to new members. I feel that i do my share for antionline, i have written a couple of tutorials about the C++ language and i have helped out numerous newbies with questions they had...(val you kinda gave yourself away...no new member knows that the antipoint system is or how to access it within their 3rd post ). Anyways, it doesnt matter, i just wanted to let you know val that some members on antionline dont like being tested...this is the second time you have done it...lol dont neg the crap outa me just letting you know my opinions
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

I still stand by my actions. Newbies ought to do a little more research before posting something like that.

it wasn't so much a test as an experiment
    test sounds too much as if it was focused on any one individual - where as what I was hoping to achieve...and think i did to some extent - was a view of the community as a whole and their reactions to newbies
    I dont want people to feel as if they were being judged by it - if it had been someone else doing it and i hadn't known I would have prolly reacted in much the same way as most peps, I am not singling anyone out and saying - "you shouldn't have done that!" what I am trying to show however is as a community perhaps we need to be more open to newer members

v_Ln

Personally, I don't think it was a matter of making people think. I'll admit I negged the post, but I negged the second one.

v_Ln: Your posts were quite different. I negged because of the defensive nature taken by the second post. There's usually a reason why people get that defensive and it usually isn't good. The language was completely different as was the grammar. That makes a big difference, in the box0wner post you seemed very lazy and bad spelling/grammar makes a person assume you aren't trustworthy. If it had been done as nicely as your first post, I think the response would have been different, and the jerk response didn't help any.

I tried as best I could to post as i believe a newbie would have reacted to the replies - they would have felt frustrated, angry, ill-done by etc and although still attempting to hold-on to some kind of restriant as they are requesting help would prolly have responded with at least some kind of insulting term - hence the Jerk remark

Also the gramar/spelling etc I felt was necessary as we have prolly all noticed the downward spiral of the way in which posts are written - just because someone does not have a prefect grasp of the english language...it does not reflect upon the reasons for which they may require the information

v_Ln

what I am trying to show however is as a community perhaps we need to be more open to newer members
    I understand...well i next time i guess i will try to think a little harder and try to help the person out...just like HTRegz, i admit that i did neg the box0wner on his second post. It was too defensive and it was like he was trying to cover something up. Anyways enough excuses, i guess next time i will try to understand the situation a little bit better and then try to help him out...
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

I just think that some of the times when people are neg'd to near banning or even banning they may have just needed guidance - I guess i was lucky when i first joined AO as there was no ap system in place as some of my posts would have prolly placed me in the red to begin with
    but i like to think i have grown durring my time at AO and perhaps it would be the same for others?

dont get me wrong there are definite times when a person does need to be shown that things in here aren't the way they thought they would be - but everyone should be given a chance to prove themsleves - wether it be to prove themselves as the idiot we believe them to be or actually as just someone who has not fully understood the way in which the site functions

v_Ln