Thread: Please help me (I think its a virus)

Please help me (I think its a virus)

Ok I hadnt had Norton Anti Virus at all then I finally downloaded it and found 3 viruses on my comp (got rid of them all) but whenever I turn email scanning on from my Norton Anti Virus all these weird emails that seam to be outgoing by me are sending to people. And its a bunch of mails like 30 a minute. How do I get rid of this virus? My Windows update and Virus Scan are fully updated.

Yes... It's a virus. Disconnect your computer from the Internet. Seriously. Now. Find a Norton Antivirus CD wand some up-to-date defs and boot from it. The CD should be bootable. Then run a virus scan. If you're very lucky, safe mode might work for you.

Browsing the Internet without antivirus software is like...
    Having sex with a $2 how without a condom.
    (sorry... can't remember who wrote that)
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Re: Please help me (I think its a virus)

Originally posted here by LilSL209
    Ok I hadnt had Norton Anti Virus at all then I finally downloaded it and found 3 viruses on my comp (got rid of them all) but whenever I turn email scanning on from my Norton Anti Virus all these weird emails that seam to be outgoing by me are sending to people.
    LOL, sorry, I found it funny that you 'downloaded' your anti-virus. Did you have one running before you 'downloaded' it?

Make sure you deleted them and not simply quarantined it. Sometimes virii can still operate within the confines of a quarination (is that a word...?).

Good luck
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

mmm... just thinking... would that be a virus or worm mmm... I think a virus... I think it would be wise to delete all your contacts from your address book and store them some where else otherwise all you contacts may be given a portion of this virus
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/c0bra.jpg
    click here to hack my computer and delete all my important files

Hi,

It sounds as if you have a worm, rather than a virus. It is probably using your outlook address book and/or your .pst file to find addys to send itself to.

As suggested, boot into safe mode and run Norton again. This can turn off the stealthing capabilities of some worms. If you have created a Norton recovery disk, boot from this, and run the AV.

please send an e-mail to leotrotskyREMOVETHIS@vol.vnn.vn

Take out the REMOVETHIS from the addy first (I do this to stop spambots getting a valid e-mail)

Hopefully the malware will attach itself and we can see just what it is?......add the address to your address book as well.

Yes, it is....................I really don't give a rat's @$$ what happens to a mailserver in Hanoi, which is why I use it for this sort of thing

I will check out some links and post them for you a bit later...............other stuff you should have.

I am both stupid and lazy. I really need to create a text file with it all in, so all I have to do is copy and paste when something like this happens

Good Luck

Ok whenever I try to exit windows messenger it wont let me because it says the file is being used by outlook or sumtin else...

Thats a totally different issue. Read up at Gibson's site for more info:
    http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

You can uninstall outlook while your updating norton and scanning..

Control Panel >> add/remove programs >> add/remove windows components >> uncheck outlook express then press next.

You can get it back after, just go to the same window and check outlook express then click next.

You might want to do some online virus scans to-
    BitDefender
    Panda ActiveScan
    Trend Micro (pc - cillin) House call
    Google search for "Online Virus Scans"

And theres the Symantec Security Check-
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/d...d=ie&venid=sym

Good Luck

Thats a totally different issue. Read up at Gibson's site for more info:
    http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
    ahem.. that refers to the Service Messenger or Netsend messenger.. not Windows Messenger or MSN messenger.. .. for that .. ignore the error message.. seem to affect sometimes if you have uotlook express set to D/L your hotmail... In MSN-messnger goto Tools-Options -preferences.. remove the tick from "Start MSN at startup", and "Allow to run in the Background" .. there is another .. I think it is in Outlook express.. cant remember just now..

As for Messenger.. go to services and set it to disabled in there.. you know how to get ther don't you?.. while your there probably a good idea to tidy up a few other s.. but for that inf goto www.blackviper.com ..

Now .. get rid of your worm with the good advice given by the others.. ..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hmmm...didnt know that. I learn something new everday

Either way they're both annoying

Hit it!