Spammers, Telemarketers Stoop to New Lows
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spammers, Telemarketers Stoop to New Lows

Spammers, Telemarketers Stoop to New Lows

"My wife was at a mall about a year ago when she ran across one of those groups who were trying to sign people up for a Visa credit card. Since she didn't yet have a credit card, she decided she'd fill out the form. She had everything filled out and was ready to sign it when she noticed the draconian fine print that essentially promised that they would sell her personal data to anyone they could, so instead of signing the form she said 'no thanks' and tossed it in the garbage. That was a mistake she has been made to regret. Almost immediately SPAM to her university email address went from 0 to 20 a day, and has been slowly increasing since. Soon we started to receive a large number of telemarketing calls to our home (where before we had received almost none). Junk mail addressed to her went through the roof. It wasn't until the Visa card arrived addressed to her that we knew what had happened." It appears that someone fished this woman's application out of the garbage and submitted this anyways, without a signature. How is something like this even close to being legal?
    And people wonder where SPAM comes from? Even if you don't fill out these things, you still get it. I didn't know people would lower themselves to this level.

Originally posted on Slashdot
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

It seems like you can't fill out any type of form anymore without some kind of legal clause trying to beat the no call list. Even something as simple as getting a free pack of soda has some clause that Company X can call you if you want anything....

I guess goes without saying that nothing in this world is truly free...
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

Banned
    and yet thay say that the best things in life are...
    that really speeks for its self than doesant it..

Nightfalls_Girl

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Yes, this unfortunately is a common occurance.

Here are other places that you will find similar SPAM starters:
    1) Fill out this form to win a car - seen at every mall across America and I'm sure across the world.
    2) Sign up for our mailer (Guess, Abercrombie, etc.)
    3) Win a vacation!! - Seen everywhere
    4) Throw in your business card for a free lunch (and 30 - 100 SPAM e-mails sent to the e-mail address on your business card)
    5) Please take our survey on customer satisfaction. A major hotel got **** for selling this info to marketers
    6) DMV - Yes, the division of motor vehicles will gladly sell all of the info they have on you to anyone who is willing to buy it. Fortunately, you can submit a form to stop this from happening. Visit the DMV site for your state to make it happen (yes, it does work. i have done it myself).
    7) As noted, credit card companies are the ultimate information whores. They will sell and send you just about anything. There is an opt out option for most but you have to ask and it takes about 6 weeks to take effect.

Anyway, there are others but these seem to be the most common. have fun trying to keep your info private folks. It shouldn't be this hard but unfortunately it is.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I had a problem with spam whereby I complained about junk text messages, and instead of stopping those the company added the email address I used to complain with to their mailing list, so I got more junk from them! Every time I emailed to say "stop sending me this rubbish", they just kept adding me to their list instead of removing me.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

how about when you sign a petition to show support for some cause and some unbathed persons having carnal knowledge of their maternal parents, sell the information.

i wonder how many are going to buy the no-call list...oouu! fresh numbers!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    wouldnt work.

one of my teachers used to get sent all these forms from the people from American Express (credit cards) so he used to fill them out correctly for his dog.
    The people accuilly called him up wondering if thay could speek to the dog, and if he still wonted the card.

Nightfalls_Girl

Originally posted here by pwaring
    I had a problem with spam whereby I complained about junk text messages, and instead of stopping those the company added the email address I used to complain with to their mailing list, so I got more junk from them! Every time I emailed to say "stop sending me this rubbish", they just kept adding me to their list instead of removing me.
    The 'click this to stop recieving mail' on spam mail is ALWAYS a ploy to get you to verify that the email the mail was sent to exists. Spammers often try random names and only add those to a list that reply. Never click that link. It never works.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Banned
    All this talk of credit cards reminds me of this.

Originally posted here by Striek

The 'click this to stop recieving mail' on spam mail is ALWAYS a ploy to get you to verify that the email the mail was sent to exists. Spammers often try random names and only add those to a list that reply. Never click that link. It never works.
    No, this was from a proper company (i.e it wasn't a scam, just annoying) and I actually went to their web site and sent them an email telling them to stop sending me stuff. If you're dealing with a reputable company who have accidentely (or purposely) added you to their mailing list then the link to remove you from the list usually works (I know because I've run a mailing list for a company).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.