How to tackle this question!

Thread: How to tackle this question!

How to tackle this question!

I am reading tenenbaum's book "computer networks" these days. I am somewhat confused about the two questions of chapter 4 and chapter 5.

Any kind of clarification in this regard will be highly appreciated...By the way, just to let you people know that I have already done my bachelors in CS from Western Michigan University and this is not any kind of acedemic work. I am reading this book and attempting questions just for the sake of my knowledge...thanks for understanding.

Qs 1:

A 7 story office building has 15 adjacent offices per floor. Each office contains a wall socket for a terminal in the front wall so the sockets from a rectangular grid in the vertical plane, with a seperation of 4 metres between sockets both vertically and horizontally. Assuming that it is feasible to run a straight cable between any pair of sockets, horizontally, vertically or diagonally, how many metres of cable are needed to connect all sockets using:

a) A star configuration with a single switch in the center

Qs 2: A router has the following CIDR entries in its routing table:

Address/Mask Next hop Interface 0 Interface 1 Router 1
    Default Router 2

For each of the following IP addresses, which interface is used to transmit the packet outbound?

I'll be highly grateful for the help...thanks in advance.
    Beware Clarity! A person talking to you in clear language is clearly using obsolete ideas.

I'm not sure if you're looking for the answers or how to go about solving them yourself.

Unfortunately I can't answer the first question, but I can help you with the second regarding the CIDR blocks.

since i don't know if you want me to give you the answers...I'll give you think link instead to help you figure out which subnet gets routed out of what interface. If a subnet comes into a router and that router doesn't have a route for this network, then it will send it out the default route.

IP Calculator

hope i helped