Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Hate Windows?

Why Hate Windows?

Why does everyone hate windoze anyway? I mean, sure it has alot of problems, but it isn't totally useless. Take gaming for example, Windoze has almost no compatibility issues with most games. Now .nix on the other hand usually needs a emulator. But to make this shorter I will organize everything into a list.

Windows Pros Windows Cons Linux Pros Linux Cons
    Easy to use Not as interactive A Shell Harder to learn Programs easy to find Programs usually cost money FREE Not compatible with all hardware

There are alot more pro's and con's I am just in a hurry, but as far as I am concerned Windoze is not as horrible as everyone says.
    \"The wise programmer is told about Tao and follows it. The average programmer is told about Tao and searches for it. The foolish programmer is told about Tao and laughs at it.
    If it were not for laughter, there would be no Tao.\"

I'm perfectly happy with my XP machine, although I do have a seperate Linux box.

Once you have shut down the vulnerable services, you just need to maintain your updates. Doesn't bother me a bit, besides, Windows has the best GUI available right?

Like you stated, it is the best OS to play games on too.

BIOS Bomber
    Windows is as bad as people say if you know how to actually work it. on the other hand it crashes alot....well xp doesnt but others did. linux is pretty good, i use it alot because i just like it, no other real reason behind it. as far as im cnocerned windows is fine if your an average user who checks mail and does some papers. but for me i like having eterm. ;0)

Originally posted here by FrameWork
    I'm perfectly happy with my XP machine, although I do have a seperate Linux box.

Once you have shut down the vulnerable services, you just need to maintain your updates. Doesn't bother me a bit, besides, Windows has the best GUI available right?

Like you stated, it is the best OS to play games on too.
    i do agree with most of this, the windows xp gui is very nice even though its a resource whore, but then again, with all these new machines costing around 600 dollars for something with 256 mbs of ram and a 2 GHz processor, who really cares if xp takes up ram? i mean its cheap as hell and theres no reason to really have a 486 as yuor only box anymore. for 300 dollars you can get an emachine faqirly easily. i guess thats how bill gates thinks of it, why else would he release an os that has to have 128 mbs ram at the least? and processors have been goign down in price too. my lil 2 GHz box runs linux just as well as it does windows, so im good.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

these new machines costing around 600 dollars for something with 256 mbs of ram and a 2 GHz processor, who really cares if xp takes up ram? i mean its cheap as hell and theres no reason to really have a 486 as yuor only box anymore.

Good point, and after you get done "trimming the fat" you're going to get a bit of those resources back.

Does anyone know if XP can indeed be run with anything less than 128mb?

Re: Why Hate Windows?

Originally posted here by redhawk14506
    Why does everyone hate windoze anyway? I mean, sure it has alot of problems, but it isn't totally useless. Take gaming for example, Windoze has almost no compatibility issues with most games. Now .nix on the other hand usually needs a emulator.
    You can't credit that to Windows or Microsoft. It's not like Windows is such a great OS that it just happens to be compatible with everything. The fact is that a staggering percentage of the world uses Windows so gaming companies write their games for that platform. Anyway, Windows had it's use and purpose and did it pretty well. I get upset that people don't mind their machine crashing and just pass it off as something that all computers do. Microsft has convinced the world the the problems Windows has are "normal". I like where SuSE is going with their new lline of products and hope that they can get a decent share of the market. That way, Microsoft would have a competitor and we could get some better OS's out of both companies.
    -NeuTron

It can be "persuaded" to run on 64Mb.............but you need to be very patient

I like my Windows 2.03 It runs on a 286 with 640K!............anyone remember when Uncle Bill said "640k should be enough for anybody"?

Cheers

Banned
    about 80 % Depends on the user how good the OS is

Banned
    XP is actually OK, ok now before the militant Linux heads shoot my head off, j/k. Most people dont hate Windows, they simply prefer Linux especially if stability is neccessary to them. I think thats an important point but what do I know, I'm majorally hungover.

BIOS Bomber
    Ahhh the irish morning/hangover. dont steele me lucky charms! i should visit my homeland soon.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Banned
    Where abouts is your homeland within the homeland?