Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft plans Windows overhaul to fight hackers

Microsoft plans Windows overhaul to fight hackers

Maybe M$ finally caught on.......or maybe not.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Stung by criticism over lax software security, Microsoft Corp. disclosed plans Thursday to update its flagship Windows operating systems early in 2004 to make consumers less vulnerable to hackers.

Microsoft said the changes, announced by chief executive Steve Ballmer during a trade conference in New Orleans, will be offered free in the next "service pack" update to users of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 software, the company's latest versions for consumers and businesses.

Full Story: CNN

enjoy.
    t.e.k.n.o.

LoL...didn't we just hear the same promise with the secure computing initiative?

In other words, I will believe it when I see it...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

heh..yeah that's the same take I have on this issue....

believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear....or something like that
    t.e.k.n.o.

yeah, once i see THEN and only then will i believe it. i had some hopes for the trustworthy initiative, but am still waiting.....

they need to focus on their code rather than their "shield" concept. if someone hacks a service, then thats my dumbass fault, if someone hacks their code, that's their fault. with that said, NO code is completely free of defects, bugs, etc., M$ can try to limit those issues as much as possible though. IMHO
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....

On the surface this all appears to be good news, yet I fear that M$'s idea of a secure OS is chock full of DRM and serving a dual purpose (as always)-- their bottom line. They announced that they wouldn't be releasing WinXP SP2 until 2004 a couple of months ago. Looks like this was the perfect op for some spin as well.

I hope they do secure the OS.... Not that I would use it anyway. But for everyone that has to use Moneysoft products. Linux is the way to go.

Well they will secure it............. but we will find some new HOLEs........ that is just the fait of any M$ product...

i can tell that youre not worried maxim, and i wouldnt be either if i wanted to find holes. i think it would be easier for them to just re-write xp then to lock it down as it is...

I wonder how long it will take m$ to take a leaf out of LINUX's book
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/c0bra.jpg
    click here to hack my computer and delete all my important files

Banned
    Originally posted here by c0bra
    I wonder how long it will take m$ to take a leaf out of LINUX's book
    Which leaf would that be?

A less finely grained access control system?
    A weaker audit trail?
    An archaic, inferior and less secure kernel architecture?
    No trusted path support?
    A lack of centralized security policies?
    The enormous hole of a super user account?
    The lack of a trusted facilities manual?
    The lack of a secure logon sequence?
    The lack of seemless file system encryption?
    The lack of decent formal evaluations scores?

Want me to continue?

Bash or praise whatever you like, but for god's sake do it intelligently.

catch