please help

Thread: please help

please help

i don't know whether this fits into the discussion but please help me. my computer has been hit my a virus and i suspect its the blaster worm cus everytime i log in, it starts to reboot. the norton antivirus that my mom initially installed has now ceased to work and i am wondering whether bugbear is involved(?) when I log in, i only have sixty seconds before it reboots. I have tried changing the RPC and have been trying to build a fire wall, but I can't cus the properties functions is not working. i tried a scan from systemac but it takes far too long and my computer reboots before it is done. please help! thank u
    [~_~]

Banned
    first when u log on go to ctrl+alt+del and kill the msblast.exe process then go to http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html and download the tool or just download it somehwere else ..burn it and run it off of the CD ...

also :

Restoring Internet connectivity and preventing the computer from shutting down

In many cases, on both Windows 2000 and XP, changing the settings for the Remote Call Procedure (RPC) service may allow you to connect to the Internet to obtain downloads, and will stop the computer from shutting down.

Click Start > Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
    Type:

SERVICES.MSC /S

in the open line, and then click OK. (The Services window opens.)

In the right pane, locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CAUTION: A service named Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator exists. Do not confuse the two.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, and then click Properties.
    Click the Recovery tab.
    Using the drop-down lists, change First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures to "Restart the Service."
    Click Apply, and then click OK.

CAUTION: Make sure that you change these settings back once you have removed the worm.
    to run the tools from a floppy :

download this http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r/FixBlast.exe

Insert the floppy disk, which contains the FixBlast.exe file, in the floppy disk drive.
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    Type the following:

a:\FixBlast.exe

and then click OK:

Note: There are no spaces in the command, a:\FixBlast.exe.

Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run.
    If you are using Windows Me, re-enable System Restore.

that should do it

if you have some more time read the whole MSblast procidure and info

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oval.tool.html

BUG BEAR REMOVAL TOOL

http://www.ravantivirus.com/pages/showtool.php?p=157

If it's blaster, you can get a removal tool here

There is also some useful info. in this thread.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ight=msblaster

Good Luck.

Cheers:
    DjM

if its the blaster virus and you get the message that "your computer will shutdown in 30 seconds" or something like that goto
    START MENU>>RUN>>TYPE "shutdown -a"
    Thst should stop you computer from restarting

Then just download the patch and removal tool.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Banned
    hmm good idea spools.exe didnt even think of using ms-dos to close the shutdown dialog box ...

thank u all so much! but, it wun work. umm.. the prob lies w my other computer, windows XP. I tried to use alt+del+crl but the only thing that can end tasks there is the systen shutdown. and when i log in, i can only get 60 seconds before the thing reboots and im back where i started.

ar!! thank u thank u!! its working now. but how do i get the norton antivirus to work? it says it cannot prevent my computer fr viruses
    [~_~]

I had the same problem w/ norton after i got that. I just reinstalled it.
    AntiOnline Quick Forum Version 2b Click Here

Regal Making Handler
    Re install Norton as sugested should fix the problem with that. Don't forget to carryout an update of the virus definitions as soon as possible, you may have to run ive update more than once or twice to make sure your upto date. Then do a full scan on you pc. Delet all the back ups that xp creates to be on the safe side aswell. Make sure its safe to do this first as you will loose your restore points.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Banned
    you have the norton 2003 . i have it and norton 2003 contain the antivirus to the blaster