Thread: please help

please help

why is it everytime i click on the norton anti virus to run, it dissappears after a few seconds? i jus ran the W32.Bugbear@mm thing but it said that the virus was not on my computer. i can;t use the live norton antivirus update.
    [~_~]

If you have a virus it may be shutting down the live update, and if you dont have updated virus signatures, i guess youre in trouble with NAV. Im not sure what you mean by W32.Bugbear@mm thing, but i think you mean youre just scanning for that. Id recommend scanning your whole hard disk and any roms or floppies with NAVs full system scan.

Try using AVG if NAV doesnt work: http://www.grisoft.com
    Its free and works good.

Please try running it in safe mode, or from the Norton recovery disk. You might be encountering the malware's countermeasures. When you boot, check what is running.

Cheers

I agree with Status. I have personaly found many times that Norton was able to act very strangely, especially when you need it badly moreover (and more seriously) Norton is so popular that it will be the first thing that a virus will try to break.

Even if I don't remember that BugBear is programmed to do such a thing.

edit: after checking, this worm is really able to disable some antiviruses.
    Look at this, it should help you:

quoted from here
    Terminating the Malware Program

This procedure terminates the running malware process from memory. You will need the name(s) of the file(s) detected earlier.

1. Open Windows Task Manager.
    On Windows 9x/ME systems,
    refer to the note* below.
    On Windows NT/2000/XP systems, press
    CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, and click the Processes tab.
    2. In the list of running programs, locate the malware file or files detected earlier.
    3. Select one of the detected files, then press the End Process button.
    4. Do the same for all detected malware files in the list of running processes.
    5. To check if the malware process has been terminated, close Task Manager, and then open it again.
    6. Close Task Manager.

*NOTE: On systems running Windows 9x/ME, you need a third party process viewer, such as Process Explorer from Sysinternals. You may also continue with the next procedure, noting additional instructions.

Removing Autostart Entries from the Registry

Removing autostart entries from registry prevents the malware from executing during startup. You will need the name(s) of the file(s) detected earlier.

1. Open Registry Editor. To do this, click Start>Run, type REGEDIT, then press Enter.
    2. In the left panel, double-click the following: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft>
    3. Windows>CurrentVersion>RunOnce
    4. In the right panel, locate and delete the entry or entries whose data value (in the rightmost column) is the malware file(s) detected earlier.
    5. Close Registry Editor.

NOTE: If you were not able to terminate the malware process from memory as described in the previous procedure, restart your system in MS-DOS mode and delete the file(s)in the Startup folder detected as WORM_BUGBEAR.A. Afterwards, restart your system in normal Windows mode.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

AO Part Timer
    I agree with a couple of you. Do you have a clean pc you can use? If you do, take your Norton, install it. Update it. Then creat some rescue disks. Be sure and write protect them after you create them. Return to PC in question, use rescue disk on it. If there is anything on the pc that is defined on the resuce disk's it will find it, and either clean in or quarantine it. If it quarantines it, just reboot. Then go into Norton, and either clean it or delete it.

Without a little bit more info that is the best advice I can give you. You also might try downloading either spybot search and destroy, and or adware. Boot to safe mode and let those guys do their job. Also, after you use one or both. You should clean up your registry with Regcleaner. Just let it clean up all dead registry links.

If you are still having problems after any advice herein or above. Come back, please give detailed information.

Good luck
    Be safe and stay free
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark