Thread: Slackware 9.1

BIOS Bomber

Slackware 9.1

As some of you know, Slackware 9.1 is now out. Im downloading it right now but has anyone else used it? after its all done ill pop it on and take it for a test drive. after that i guess i could write upa review of what i thought. anyone thats used it, did you like it? what are your opinions?
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I've upgrade my system from slack 9 to 9.1 and have managed to lose sound. Otherwise, it's pretty nifty.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

have been running Slackware 9.1 since it came out ..... everything is running perfectly on my desktop machines.

Automatically detected my hardware including my tvcard .... very happy with it.

MsMittens, I might be wrong, but I think Slack has gone over to ALSA drivers for sound getting ready for the 2.6 kernel.

Could be. I have to check into it. A student who has a Toshiba laptop has experienced the same issue. My panasonic (a couple of years old) is no playing well with this. A couple of recompile attempts thus far have been unsuccessful (stopping at USB hub load)... so it might take some figuring out to get it all working and playing nice.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

BIOS Bomber
    Thanks for all the replys its good to know some people have used and and knowing some of the things you ran into. so far it sounds good though

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Phat_Penguin,

You were right in that they went over to the ALSA drivers but they didn't seem to be enabled. So I went to the ALSA Website, download the latest (just released yesterday), found my sound card listing, compiled as per that listing and *boom* I have sound!! In fact, I now have sound in flash (something I was missing in Slack 9). So, no recompile for me.. I have everything I need..

Sweeeeeeeettt!!!

Wow, this has me tempted to try it out and get rid of Free BSD. Is it really that good?

BIOS Bomber
    Originally posted here by SkeletonHands
    Wow, this has me tempted to try it out and get rid of Free BSD. Is it really that good?

Do it! dooo ittt!

D'oh. No! Get a cheapo box and stick FreeBSD on that. Then install Slack on a new box. That's what I did (get the best of both worlds). This allows me to play with FreeBSD and have a nice usable Linux box. Now to get the wireless going (gah! I hate 3Com cards).