Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardware help needed

I've been doing some testing and moving some parts around and as far as I can tell it's the power supply that has given up but I'm not quite sure yet. I have too much to do try and replace it right now and I dont think the power output on my other one is the same so I guess I'll have to buy a new one. A big thanks to all of you who took the time to help me.
    Hope I get my baby running again soon.
    [shadow] Nobody\'s perfect, but I\'m damn close...[/shadow]

The power supply is the first place to look as there is a power good signal going from the supply to the cpu. If that signal isn't received the system will fail to boot.The next place would be the cpu fan. You said you have an AMD 2000+ correct? I have built over a 100 amd systems. I have failed to plug in the cpu fan a couple of times also
    The result was the exact situation you describe. Check the cpu fan and be sure it's turning.
    If not.....the fan AND cpu need replacing. A high speed AMD chip will burn in second if the fan isn't working.Keep your fingers crossed and hope it's the power supply.

[QUOTEThe solution they came up with was to take it all out of the case, lay it on the floor and then boot it.[/QUOTE]

A sure way to kill everything with a bad dose of static!!

Make sure you have a Anti Static mat if you do this, or at least a mouse mat as most of these are anti static mats too!

TOOL KIT Hint: Go to Wallies world (Walmart) purchase a $5 digital multi meter.. remove from packet.. switch to the V position.. now black probe goes to a pin in a Molex plug that has a black wire going in.. now the red one .. when attached to the red wire.. should read 5V and when attached to the Yellow Wire.. should read 12V.. if these are dramaticly different like 0V.. then you have a PSU failure or .. the MOBO has a confused BIOS.. reset bios.. check the 2032 battery should read 3V or so (not <2.95V)

BTW.. Anti Static Mats are CONDUCTIVE.. not a good idea either

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Yeah you might electocute your carpet.

I also agree with rapier57. My folks' computer had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad power supply. For what seemed like no reason the computer would just shut off as though the power cable was yanked out of the socket. At first all that we needed to do was flip the main power switch on the power supply itself on the back, and then press the cases power button on the front and it would start up and work for awhile, but then it would do the same thing again later on. Replace your power supply ASAP before you chance damaging anything else in your machine.
    [gloworange][shadow][/shadow][/gloworange] [gloworange][shadow]\"To (10000010) or not to (10000010)? That is the question!\"[/shadow][/gloworange] [gloworange][shadow][/shadow][/gloworange]

I once had a problem with a M/B where the fan would turn for half a second then would quit. After that it wouldn't start at all unless I unplugged the PS for a minute. I took the M/B out of the case hooked everything up again and it worked. Ended up being a short with a screw behind the ram. So try that.
    =

I have built over a 100 amd systems. I have failed to plug in the cpu fan a couple of times also
    Sounds like you were the one building my machine because when I got it I just hooked it up and turned it on. 2 seconds later I had a burned cpu on my hands. They hadn't connected the cpu fan and all I could do was send it back. Kinda sucks since I had been waiting for it for nearly two weeks at that time. Well well, that is long ago forgotten.

This time it's different though. The cpu fan is and was securely plugged in. Like I said in an earlier post, when I unhook the power cord and then plug it back in and switch the power on the power indicator on the motherboard flashes for an instant and the cpu fan turns 2-3 rounds. Judging from this I see no other alternative than a broken power supply.
    All I have to do now is
    1. buy a new one - no problem, cheap and easy to come by
    2. install it - bigger problem since I'm not a great one for fidgeting with tiny gadgets and, to be honest, am not very experienced in exchanging parts inside a computer. Sure, I have installed my share of network adapters, GFX cards and such but never a power supply.
    I'm greatful for any helpful hints here, anything I should keep in mind when I do this (except unplugging the power cord )?
    [shadow] Nobody\'s perfect, but I\'m damn close...[/shadow]

I'm telling you, its a short somewhere.

Have you tried taking the M/B out of the case yet?
    =

check SMPS sure u will have a faulty Smps