All purpose IM program
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All purpose IM program

All purpose IM program

I was wondering if there was a program like GAIM on Knoppix for the SuSE distro. Also, after I execute AIM from the shell, If I close the shell thereafter AIM closes up as well, any way around this, or am I just missing something? Thanks again guys!

EDIT* Was also wondering if there is a nix program that can run Msn Messenger, or if I should I just use WINE?

never tried it but how about Kopete ?
    http://kopete.kde.org/
    Kopete is a big project which already supports messaging protocols like Jabber, ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, IRC, Windows LANs, GaduGadu, IRC and SMS.
    or imici http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/2330/1/

BIOS Bomber
    Gaim runs msn just fine. go tot he gaim webbsite and read it though because i dont remember the exact way how. also for the aim thingy and keeping the window open, search in the directory aim is installed too and copy the actual program file to your desktop and all done.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Great, thanks a ton guys, I tried using GAIM, but it gave me errors, while trying to install it =/, so now Im trying my luck at Kopete. Hope it goes well!

Hmmm... with Kopete, I can get it installed,but having a difficult time getting services up and runnin, back to trying

Just wondering what the different versions of GAIM do?

gaim-0.70-1mdk9.1.i586.rpm
    gaim-0.70-1rh8.i386.rpm
    gaim-0.70-1rh9.i386.rpm

BIOS Bomber
    gaim-0.70-1mdk9.1.i586.rpm <-- mdk = Mandrake

gaim-0.70-1rh8.i386.rpm <-- rh8 = redhat 8

gaim-0.70-1rh9.i386.rpm <-- rh9 = redhat 9

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

ahh.. that makes sense, now if i can just get the thing to work!

BIOS Bomber
    heh, just folow the instructions and you should be fine. youll get the hang of it.

Ya, with Kopete, I get it up fine, but once I try to make an account, it just dies, and then with GAIM, I try installing it, but it brings up a box showing me all these inconsistinces (sp?) Saying that I shouldnt continue the installation unless I know what Im doing. So Im kinda stuck now =/.

BIOS Bomber
    SuSe comes with Gaim, if you cant find it on your box, pop in the install media and open yas2 and see if you can install it, you should be able to just open the install software from cd thingy and look in networking under aol and select Gaim and then install.

oh boy, I feel like an idiot now, hehe DOH! Just forgot to install it I guess =/. But fixed that, and got it up and runnin, thanks for the help MandrakeTux, you're the best!

Now to just get the MSN plug-in installed

yes, got the plug-in. (feel like such an idiot, lol) Thanks again guys!
    What do you get when you cross a nun and a penguin?
    An operating system that won\'t go down on you.