Thread: Duplicate IP address

Duplicate IP address

I run a ezboard forum, and I have two people posting on there both with the same ip address, my natural instinct is to say that they are one and the same person, or that they are using the same p.c.
    Can there be more than one user with the same ip and if not how would i check these two people out.

Ninja Code Monkey
    They could be behind the same gateway or proxy. Say, if they work at the same company or get routed through the same aol proxy server...
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Thank you for replying
    I understand what you are saying but this should be the ip address and not the isp the address comes down to cache9-nott.server.ntli.net I thought that the ip addy would still be unique as I am also on broadband and run three pc's on the same line and all three show a different ip address.

I hope that you are correct and this is not a case of deception

I should have added that these two people claim not to know each other and they come from two seperate parts of the country

I should have added that these two people claim not to know each other and they come from two seperate parts of the country

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Sounds like a case of deception then. It would be nearly impossible to get the same IP address from opposite sides of the country. That is, unless they both use the same proxy server. With a name like cache9-nott, it sounds like it might be a proxy server, so it is possible that they are both using the same proxy and got the address off of the net. You ca ask them to both connect without using a proxy and then you would get there actual IP address and if they both claim they are not using a proxy, then you know its deception.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Thanks guys for all your help
    looks like i may have to find a way to trip them up like trying to get them both on at the same time.

99% of Lawyers give the rest a bad name

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I played a game where players were only allowed on character at a time. Since we didn't have access to see the IP addresses, we had to base our findings of "cheaters" on post style and errors.

Personally, if you think it's an issue, watch their posts for things like:

- common sayings
    - common mispellings
    - using the handle of the other account as a signature
    - common thread topics

It's tough task but if your diligent you will see it when they slip up.

Now, that said, even if it is the same person, is it that much of an issue if they have two accounts?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yep I suppose you are right maybe I am just getting wrapped up in this well at least if I am suspicious about it I can always make sure I dont say the wrong thing to the wrong person.

cheers

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.