Thread: Making an OS

Making an OS

I am going to start production on a OS soon. I want it to be linux based and have the desktop really nice and customized. My queston is does anyone know of any good websites for this? I know about www.linuxfromscratch.org and i am doing some work with it.

Banned
    why the secong thread ..i gave you a website i found in the first thread ... btw you can just bump up the old thread ...no nned to start another one

What exactly do you plan on doing? Creating a new distro, or writing a complete os (kernal and all). I've actually been interested in doing this, but I believe I need to work on coding some more. Let me know if you find anything really interesting.

DeafLamb

LFS is all abt making a distro...............not rewritting kernel etc..
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

i was thinking i would create a new distro instead of the full kernal

Try some books from Andrew S. Tanenbaum, especially "Operating Systems: Design And Implementation, Second Edition".

You can find more books about operating systems from him at this site

http://www.prenhall.com/tanenbaum/
    [shadow]OpenGL rules the game[/shadow]http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=499

Banned
    Excellent advice cleanbash, however you forget this person wants to use the Linux kernel and Tanenbaum will just confuse him by letting him know exactly how crap the Linux kernel really is. ("Linux is obsolete" -Tanenbaum 1992)

kryptonic if you are wishing to make a Linux distro, I think you have been provided with good resources. If on the other hand you decide that you are interested in actually making an OS as the topic states, Tanenbaum's book is an excellent resource I also have some other design documents you maybe interested in as well as a far more automated/structured walk through Boyer-Moore theorem prover that I am working on which would be of use in verifying your OS.

catch