Thread: Ques-configuring PPPOE-client (Redhat 7.x)

Ques-configuring PPPOE-client (Redhat 7.x)

Has anyone configured PPPOE client on Redhat/7x before....
    Curious to hear about success stories and or any caveats I should be aware of...

TIA
    Cheers....

Developer Extraordinar
    PPPoE works fine for me on Gentoo, and every single other Distro Ive tried, I use rp-pppoe, it's very easy to use and configure, just adsl-setup and then either adsl-connect or adsl-start to connect, you can download it from...

Here
    and I even put a copy on my server if you want it, here http://www.unerror.net/downloads/rp-...1.0.1.i386.rpm
    Or if you don't trust me, you can google it

Thankx Micro,

I used same setup as you did, however was unsuccessful. I didnt have to download it though,,,rp-pppoe was already installed on 7x version I was configuring..

Quick question,
    I didnt see a prompt during the "adsl-setup" to enter the IP address of provider in order to log on and authenticate....I manually edited the ppp-pap and the ppp-chap files to do so....

Curious to know what you had to do for the IP address...

cheers.

IP Address of the provider???? I really don't get what this is.. I've never had to do it.

I'm using the scripts under Mandrake 9.1 and have had no problems. I run into some errors because my card is detected as ETH0 (using module rtl8139) so it gives an error because it attempts to use that line in the config file so i have to remove the (using module rtle8139). Other than that i do a simple adsl-setup and then run adsl-start and I have no problems. I get . . Connected!

I had an issue after a fresh install a couple of days ago, not real sure of what I had done wrong, but I ran adsl-setup a second time and walked threw the steps and everything worked again.

Have you considered booting X and using the GUI to configure it?

Yes,,,Ip address of provider....ISP requires:

1)username
    2)password
    3)Ip of provider...

No I didnt try the GUI yet...

I called the provider (verison/DSL) and they told me they do not support PPPOE client on Linux....Although it should not really matter....standard protocol...

I also sniffed LAN,,,and connection was getting dropped before authentication begins...
    When I use a windows client (on win2000pro) works fine.........

I don't know what version you are using... but you might want to install the newest version.

It will work with 7.x. It requires 6.x and up.

Requirements
    To use the PPPoE client, you need:

A Linux system with a 2.0-, 2.2- or 2.4-series kernel.
    Kernel support for "packet sockets". All standard distribution kernels include this.
    The pppd daemon, version 2.3.7 or later. If you are using demand-dialing, you need version 2.3.10 or later. For kernel 2.4, you need pppd 2.4.
    A working Ethernet card.
    ADSL service and an ADSL modem.
    http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/rp-pppoe/

Developer Extraordinar
    I called the provider (verison/DSL) and they told me they do not support PPPOE client on Linux....Although it should not really matter....standard protocol...
    My ADSL provider said that to, but they told me it works fine, they just can't help me with any problems I might have using it.

Quick question,
    I didnt see a prompt during the "adsl-setup" to enter the IP address of provider in order to log on and authenticate....I manually edited the ppp-pap and the ppp-chap files to do so....

Curious to know what you had to do for the IP address...

cheers.
    I've also never heard of supplying an IP, I'm pretty sure the modem does all that... try as Phishphreak said, installing the newest rp-pppoe, it worked fine for me on every Distro I've tried.

EDIT: I don't know about the rest of you, but http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/rp-pppoe/ isn't working for me, that is why I posted links to the program file in my first ost in this thread.

Thnx for all the responses......

I downloaded latest version as recommended by phishphreek80 and it worked.....