Pop ups
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop ups

Pop ups

I'm having problems with pop ups on my computer. I downloaded Lavasoft Adaware to try and get rid of any spyware, ect, on my computer, but these pop-ups keep appearing on my computer, even when I'm not searching the internet. I'll close internet explorer, and my screen saver will come on, and every so often a pop-up just randomly appears.

I haven't downloaded any taskbars (well my dad downloaded Hotbar, but we deleted it and I used adaware to get rid of anything left), but I can't seem to stop these pop-ups. Anyone have any idea how to stop them?

*BTW, they pop ups don't open in internet explorer, they look like the java pop ups

get google's pop-up blocker at www.google.com also, you could try switching browsers to Mozilla. vist www.mozilla.org for more details...

EDIT: you could also try this: http://products.enterpriseitplanet.c...65607292.html. I dunno, something i just found on the site...
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

you running windows 2000 or xp?

You aren't being specific about what kind of pop-ups you are seeing. If you are running Win2k or WinXP, you can turn off Messenger to stop some pop-ups.

Click Start, right-click My Computer.
    Select Computer Management.
    Expand Services and Applications.
    Click on Services.
    Find Messenger, right-click, Properties. Either disable or set to manual.

While you are in there, make sure you disable the Universal Plug N Play, too.

Open DOS, type: net stop messenger (easiest way to disable those pesky win 2k/xp messenger spams)

I'd recommend surfing with another browser, I like Opera myself, don't like the *feel* of a Netscape or a Mozilla, though they're fine browsers in themselves. Anything non-M$ is a good way to go Sounds like you did good w/Adaware, whenever I used to find a popup creeping in, del temp files, cookies, run adaware, check my progs, uninstall anything that might be lying around (which if you have someone else using your computer you should keep on top of) Then if you have something like Kazaa installed, it comes inherent w/a ton of annoying little spyware.

try downloading ad-aware. There is a free version that will find most spyware and malware on your windows box. Usually these pop-ups are caused by services or start-up items. Check whats set to run on startup. If you see anything suspicious, check it out on google, and delete it if necessary. Not everything will be discovered by Ad-aware or any other scanning software.
    $person!=$kiddie or die(\"Alas, die you hotmail hacker!!\");

Oh, sorry, yeah, I'm running Windows 2000 pro.

take from another board

Make your own pop-up killer. (easy)

Make a new shortcut with the following target:
    %windir%\SYSTEM32\notepad.exe %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\hosts

open the shortcut.

In notepad you will see a file that looks like this. This is known as your
    hosts file. Whenever your computer makes a DNS lookup, it will search
    through this file first, essentially mapping the hostname in question to a
    specified IP.

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    # For example:
    # rhino.acme.com # source server
    # x.acme.com # x client host localhost

Now the cool part. Whenever you're browsing and a new bastard ad or pop up
    comes up, right click on it and cut and paste the URL into your "hosts"
    file. Chop off the "http://" bit as well as the directory and filename, and
    you end up with this. sbad.foxsports.lycos.com www.celebritywonder.com doubleclick.com ads.x10.com yimg.com us.a1.yimg.com www.timeinc.net www.imglmb1.com ad.doubleclick.net www.zdmcirc.com ar.atwola.com

No more popups anymore! Thank god.
    NOTE: for this to work, you
    must NOT be using the autoconfigure option in IE lan settings.

this was writen by :danta: I just copy pasted it to here..... I also put a link to the page...

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Here is a link on my site for tools to block pop-up and pop-under web ads as well as tools and information to help you disable the Winodws Messenger service or block the ports that Windows Messenger service spam comes in on:

Free Pop-Up and Messenger Spam Blocking Software

Basically, for Messenger service spam you can either make sure you have some sort of firewall prohibiting traffic incoming on the Messenger service ports or you can simply disable the Messenger service in most cases.

Use the latest mozilla browser, download it at mozilla.org, Mozilla blocks pop-ups with a built-in tool. PCWorld calls it
    the best browser of 2003.
    [shadow]OpenGL rules the game[/shadow]http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=499