Thread: Something for the *nix freaks

Something for the *nix freaks

For Star Wars: Episode II, Linux made Yoda a light saber-wielding action figure. In Lord of the Rings 2, waves of Orcs attacking the colossal fortress at Helm's Deep are not thousands of human extras, but digital actors created using Linux. To consumers, Linux may rank third after Windows and Macintosh, but Linux dominates motion pictures more than anyone but studio insiders may realize. It has been used to produce more than 30 blockbuster films, including Lord of the Rings, Star Wars: Episode II, Harry Potter, Shrek, and Titanic.

In short, the big news in Hollywood about Linux is it is no longer big news. Linux has won not only renderfarm servers, but the artist desktops of the top studios. It's hard to find a large studio that does not rely upon Linux as its primary animation and special effects OS, and many smaller film studios have adopted Linux, too.

At the software level, studios are using Linux versions of some of the leading commercial applications for 3D animation, compositing, special effects, and rendering -- Alias Maya, Apple Shake, and Pixar RenderMan. Internally, the major studios have ported millions of lines of proprietary code to Linux and are creating their new programs in Linux.
    Full Article [ here ]

A nice article discussing Linux's place in the movie industry, how it got there, and what makes it such a hot ticket in the industry's graphics companies. Theres probably a better place for this, but it didnt fit in any of the security forums, so mods are welcome to move it whereever they think it would fit in best.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Nice find Syini666. A lot more info about Linux development that I didn't realize exists. It kind of shows how Linux has been and is taking its rightful place in industry.

Sweet

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    IMO , Linux all the way, I would **** my Gentoo if I could
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

BIOS Bomber
    Originally posted here by .: Shrekkie :.
    IMO , Linux all the way, I would **** my Gentoo if I could

Gentoo sucks, try for a blow job
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

That's pretty amazing, my Media tech teacher said that everything like that was made with macs, He should find this an interesting read, thanks for the info Syini!
    What do you get when you cross a nun and a penguin?
    An operating system that won\'t go down on you.