Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anonymous Remailer

Hi,

cleanbash, I do not think that da_zero is recommending spam, it is more a security issue. The article he refers to is 8 years old. I am trying to recall, but I do not think that spam was much of a problem in those days, except, perhaps, if you used AOL?

There is a similarity in concept, in that spammers will spoof their IDs and look for a server that permits relaying to dump their c**p on the internet. That way they remain anonymous.

The anonymous re-mailer, on the other hand, is a trusted service in a non-aligned, democratic country, that allows people to communicate with one another without revealing their true identities. If you happen to live in a "police state" this might be useful?

If such a site were to permit spamming, I am sure that their ISP would shut them down pretty quickly. Also, they would be looking for spam and would close accounts that appeared to be being used for it?

My question was really how useful such a service is TODAY, given that there are other ways of going about it, as several members have already mentioned?

There are many free mail providers where you can set up a fictitious account. A web-based system where you use their application and server is more secure than the local SMTP variety, where "evidence" is stored on your local machine; although you still need to be wary of local security. Temporary files, the page/swap file etc?

As for antisocial behaviour, these days anyone with sense has a personal firewall and their mailing system has filtering capabilities, so you just block the annoyance? 8 years ago this was certainly not the case. Also, the concept of the anonymous re-mailer is that it is between consenting parties?

At the end of the day, if it is illegal or annoying.......don't do it?

Cheers

lol... not legal...... wt is legal....... here in lebanon... ther is no LAW agianst is ........
    no 1 is giving a F*** about pirated CD's....so it is legal..... here lol

HI Folks,

As nihil said, I'm not recommending the spam, I hate spam too!, no one in this world like spam.
    Nihil mentioned a very important alternative for remailer is the free web baseds E-mail ,,,, they're really hard to account ,,,, but the variety is always good ,,,, I think the most imprtant thing in the anonymous remailer is that you don't send your IP ,,,,

If we aretalking about faking our e-mails we can use outlook express to do this ,,,, so the issue is not that at all,,,, It's about hidding the IP ,,,, so no one can even thought to trace yo,

I think this service gets it's best usage in the non-democratical nations ,,,, so anyone can express himself without feeling that someone might arrest him ,,,,,

all the best ,,,,,

Special thanks goes to Nihil ,,,,

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Da-zero:

Er.... All three mail servers I use begin logging it's transactions with the IP address of the remote machine..... Thus "doing it yourself" would like like this in any of my logs:

Connection from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [somedevice.somewhere.com]
    ELHO somewhereelse.com

I dunno about you but that doesn't seem too anonymous..... Not to mention that fact that my firewall logs note every SYN inbound on port 25 as well I would suggest that doing it yourself might not be a good idea if you are going to be "bad"......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hi da_zero,

I am glad that you understood what I was leading towards. Yes your examples are all quite legitimate, although they might be dangerous for the individual.

I have some major problems with the anonymous re-mailer idea.

1. They are old, and there are not many of them these days, so if I were chief of the secret police, that would be the first sort of traffic I would be monitoring for, and your ISP keeps connection records.

2. A lot of free speech is via bulletin boards and forums, so e-mail is not that useful? as already suggested, an anonymous proxy server service would be better? Or use the two together? Even this has problems, as traffic to anonymous proxies would show up.

3. I suppose that in a non-democratic environment you are "guilty until proven innocent" so any sign of "furtive" activity will be interpreted as "subversive"

4. I think that using an anonymous proxy and a free web mail would work fine for the employee expressing views or whistle blowing, though?

5. Because of spam, a lot of anonymous connections will probably get killed. I think that what you are aiming for is to have an identity, but one that cannot be traced to your true identity? That way your communications are accepted.

Cheers

Hi nihil ,,,,

First of all. there is many of theme arount the net ,,,, they are free of charge ,,,,,
    Riot is a good example http://riot.eu.org/ ,,,, check it out ,,,,,

I know that alot of free speach is via bulletin board And forums ,,,, but We can use It in more
    extended way ,,,, like news group, Mail listes and USENET,,,,, It seems a good Idea, huh ?

Look, Till now no one Approve that the anonymous remailers are a spam ,,,, so that, no one is about killing thos links ,,,, they're still alive there are dozens os remailers ,,,,,

In the third factor you are absolutely completely right !!

Cheers

Where are you GuyZ ?

Hi da-zero, back again

I had a look at the site you mention........seemed a little old to me....75MHz pentium?

I still have concerns about anonymous re-mailers:

1. You want to have an identity that is recognised , but not directly traceable back to you? There is a basic human feeling that those who are anonymous have no courage. Also, if you are anonymous, it is easy to steal your identity? I think we need to use "untraceable" rather than "anonymous"............for example, an exiled political leader?

2. You may not send your IP address when you contact the re-mailer, but YOUR isp will have logged your call to the re-mailer. This takes me back to how you will be traced by the secret police, and once they have both you AND your PC, they will "extract" information from both....trust me!

3. Your secret police know how to use Google as well They can compile lists to search local ISPs for contacts to anonymous re-mailers............the rest they will "extract" from you, without needing an ISP address.

Cheers

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Take your wireless enabled laptop, find an unsecured WAP, (which isn't very hard nowadays), connect yourself up, route through your proxy if you want and away you go..... If the WAP is logging the best they get is your MAC address and if you stole the Wireless card they have no way of tracing your activity anyway...... Well.... except to the owner of the WAP.... who is going to be in for a big surprise when the Statz Polizei come a-knocking......

Course that might be a tad too much work if you only want to surf the pr0n......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hi nihil ,,,,

You are right? it's absolutely old, but it is also pretty good ,,,,

I do understand your concerns !!!! ,,,,let me say that there is no entity without having advantage and disadvantage,,,, So it's mixed pleasent arm ,,,,

So, we are not about discussing an existance

Hi nihil ,,,, Welcome back

You are right? it's absolutely old, but it is also pretty good ,,,,

I do understand your concerns !!!! ,,,,let me say that there is no entity without having advantage and disadvantage,,,, So it's mixed pleasent arm ,,,,

Well, we are not about discussing a moral or ethic Issue !!!!
    And about our personality and courageousness, Here an example, If someone involved himself in non-equal or out of armed battle, he will be categorized as an Idiot, cuz he already
    knew that he will lose this battle, Here is Is very common Proverb in our country
    {Withdraw Is the Half of Victory} ,,,,,

About our Identity,,, The sense of remailers are not to prove our identity but our opinion and our point of view,
    so no one will believe you if you'll try to steal my identity by using the reamiler {not the smart one anyhow}

I think it's too hard to trcae me by extracting infos ,,,, isn't it ?
    Technically I think it's not possible to trace me in the way you mintioned above

Regards,,,
    All the Best