Greetings, all. After an extended absence from AO, I finally have some free time to get back online. Lots o' stuff has changed in my life since I was here last, including a career change and a move to a new city. One of the things that has changed recently is that my girlfriend has moved in with me, which sort of leads into my problem....

I connect my home network to my broadband connection via a Linux gateway box. On this box, I have a squid proxy with adzapper running on port 3128, and I use a line in my iptables script to transparently redirect outbound traffic on port 80 to port 3128. It works beautimously, except for one little thing...

My girlfriend uses MSN Messenger, which I have never used. Apparently, the client tries to connect on port 80 and is getting blocked by squid. I've tried using the proxy settings in Messenger to tell it that 192.168.1.1 is an http proxy, but no joy. I know squid is the culprit because I can comment out the port redirect lines in my iptables script, and Messenger begins working perfectly. Google has turned up a couple of little nuggets, but nothing that fixes my problem.

Does anyone know what sort of fairy dust I have to sprinkle on squid.conf to allow Messenger through?