Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Forum

New Forum

Hey Hey,

I'd like to suggest a new forum. After talking with several of the more well versed members on this site through IRC, and various IM clients, I've come to the conclusion that a new forum is needed. One that is invite only, for those of us that actually know what we are talking about. AO is now being flooded by those looking to chat and those with basic tech support questions. 95% of the people in the addicts forum are only there because they are post whores, and some people who belong to be there aren't because they follow the rules and only post when they have a question or when they are helping out. I think an invite only forum is definately needed. One for those who present actual computer knowledge, who aren't out just to raise their post count and ask stupid little kid questions. Hell I'll even offer to sit and go threw the threads and invite members into it, if no one else wants to do it, or let a few of us that know what we're talking about in and let us vote on who's welcomed in after that. It's not fair to those of us that are here for security, to have to put up with this riff raff.

HTRegz, it's not a bad idea, but what about the people that are frowned
    upon by certain members (like myself) but alot of others, who are here to learn would
    miss out on your so called " invite only" due to personal opinions. This is just a way to
    break the community into "us and thems". I think a better idea would be to change the
    addicts rules, so that it is possible to negg someone that posts not up to standard posts
    out of the forum, having to wait another 50 posts before re-entering. I think it is a bit
    selfish and sort of nose in the air kind of idea. I mean isn't there conference rooms to invite
    a private chat. I think that most people appreciate the knowledge that is made available to
    all here, it's what makes the site good. just my thoughts, are they worth negging?
    TidaLphasE23.....................

The problem comes when I come to check what's going on on the site at the end of the day. I have to sift threw hundreds of posts and replies about useless stuff, tech support type stuff that doesn't belong on this site. So then I go to the addicts forum and there's even less useless stuff in there because all people do in there is chat to raise their post count (bloody postwhores). I remember when I first hit addict status, there'd be one new post a day, or very few of them anyways, and they were usually useful or informative, now they are pure trash, because a number of the people who have made that far are simply post whores. As for opinions, if you are voting on the members allowed in, any really worthwhile members should get in.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I think making the addicts forum invite only is a good idea. That way, no one can flood the boards just to get into the addicts forum.
    =

Well how about a tech support type stuff forum that does'nt show
    on the main page? Why cant the moderator's move threads out of the
    Addicts forum? Surely there is enough seniors that can negg stupid posts
    in the Addicts to improve it to yours and as you say others likeing. I still think
    that seperating a/o members into an "us and them" group is not the way to go.
    Without sounding too sarcastic, if it is bothering you so much, Why not report all
    irrelevant posts in Addicts? Maybe a member with enough complaints could get an
    annoying pop up upon entering, like the one you get when you assign too many
    greens or reds, with a warning to change their post topics.

[edit] So you would have to reveiw all current Addicts to see if they are
    worthy of entry??? Invite the people "you" like and evict all the others???
    How can you assume that a member that has gotten plenty of neggs, that
    would'nt be invited, would abuse this forum???? Sounds like passing
    judgement weel before it is warranted...... just my thoughts.

Half the irrelevant posts come from senior members who don't give a **** anymore and the moderators. heh

now that's one of the best suggestions I've seen in weeks.. actually months.
    (besides the antipoint variable point assignment ones)

but the thing I don't see clearly is how to implement it.
    With the addicts forum it's done by post count and the conference rooms by a key.
    So, it's easy to set one up and have it done by a key but what's to prevent someone leaking that key out ? A forum area that is done by name only.. how could that be implemented, does the Jupmedia folks have that expertise ? is it worth their bother ? probably not.

and think about the addicts forum in the old days.. ok.. we discussed a "few" things
    that we wouldn't want kiddies to see and posted about troublesome members but for the most part.. nothing ever really was posted in there that couldn't have been posted outside that area, and it was dead most of the time.. I think the same thing would happen in this new forum.. it'd be dead for a while and gradually it would get some use.. and then there's the "elitest" attitude type of problem... members might bitch.. oh why wasn't I selected ?

it'll be like the antipoints.. cause more dissention..

wait a minute.. I just talked myself out of the idea.. someone set me straight.
    I do like it, but it just might cause more problems than it's worth.
    plus.. you guys would never let me in.. hehehe..

Banned
    you all have good points ..i only want to say that i support the idea (you know why?) because Jupman said that if a thread in the suggestion forum gets enough feedback they will implent the feature ..i feel the same way as htregz, i post **** in the addicts forum because there are only **** threads , if there are more serious threads i think we would be learning more because we would try and get the answers and learn in that process. And also i dont need to be in the top10 posters to get recognition people get respect from me at least by the way they post and what they post and not how much posts they have. Lets take nightfalls girl for example (nothin personal hell i aint better , i think i only contibuted somewhat to AO relating to securty) but i dont think she deserves 6 greenies because i didnt see her contributing to the "Security" related part of the website in what i think we should be giving AntiPoints only to. Just my opinion. Tx.

edit: thought about it ..i think the information inside the Addicts forums should be available to the newbies because some newbies may be smarter then most of us...so we could like vote who to let in not just by the number of posts we could like review their post history and think if they are worth or something ... this feature is like the "see who assgined you AP's" feature ..it has its bad and good side . hm ?

edit2 : i've got an idea ..why not create a forum for serious Security issues and assign Moderator status let's say to HTregz since he came up with this idea and let him moderate the forum .. so if the moderator sees a thread not related to secuirty he could delete it and if he sees a member post useless post afterwards he could ban that user from that forum and also your post count doesn't increase when you post in that forum . What do you all think about that ? Criticism welcome.

Hey Hey,

Glad to see a response, both positive and negative. I hope if nothing else this will at least get people thinking. AO has become a joke, there are more and more people who are boycotting the site everyday. How are we ever going to learn anything knew if all people want to do on this site is chat. Ok, fine. there is a GCC for that, but it should end there. The Addicts forum really shouldn't be a chat area, it should be serious and unfortunately it's not. I see people like catch for example or tampa, tedob and tigershark and of course our mods who have an abundance of knowledge to share, but they're being overshadowed by the useless babble that is filling the boards....

Let's keep the ideas rolling people and see if we can pound out something that can be implemented.

i've got an idea ..why not create a forum for serious Security issues and assign Moderator status let's say to HTregz since he came up with this idea and let him moderate the forum .. so if the moderator sees a thread not related to secuirty he could delete it and if he sees a member post useless post afterwards he could ban that user from that forum and also your post count doesn't increase when you post in that forum
    That's a great idea, this is the way to keep a "really useful" forum in the way this site actually is supposed to be.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com