Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Forum

GreekGoddess
    Addicts is also a place to discuss site issues, such as spammers, people suspected to have multiple accounts and AP abusers, the quality of the threads being posted and what can be done about it in a smaller, more focused, group. In fact, a thread about this thread is currently taking place in there discussing what can be done.

A good point brought up in defense of the general chit-chat atmosphere in Addicts was that before it was like that, the forum was dead. It would get an occasional post, but other than that, you could go a week without checking it and wouldn't fall behind.

One thing agreed on by the majority is that a new forum would just cause dissention among members and that wasn't needed. A few other suggestions came up and are currently being discussed among the members there.

The thread tapered off on the idea that we would see how things went with HTRegz' conference room, and see how that worked out for all the members contributing there.

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    There's one thing that will definitely help with the quality of the site without much change.... Quit updating the main page with the changes in the hardware section...... It's never going to be security related - just a tech support line..... For those interested in security it is irrelevant and it shouldn't be on the front page..... If you like that side feel free to visit it just the same as you make the physical effort to go to Addicts..... The rest of us can have it filtered out - which is fine by me......

[Edit]

Right now 6:00pm EST 10 of the top 13 threads are from the hardware forum..... C'mon..... Send them off to some tech support/help desk place..... This is BS.....

[/Edit]
    I have to say I FULLY support this, web devel isn't on the main page.. so why should hardware be. A main arguement for peopel against the new forum idea was that the front page is all security, but in reality it isn't. I also think that there should be a new General Technologies forum for programming. I'm all for computer related discussion regardless of if it's security or not, but it should be kept off the main page and if you lookin the Programming security forum most of the posts are basic programming help.

Banned
    Originally posted here by HTRegz

Come on MsM.. You've seen addicts, that isn't what it is.. that isn't even close to what it is. It's a bunch of people trying to raise their post count and talking about nothing relevent. I haven't seen a worthwhile post in there in prolly close to a month. The posts in there are a joke.

TidaLphasE23: As for that.... That was simple an attempt to raise my post count.. I replied to ask a question and make a comment. I was attack by someone with horrible spelling, which I consider to be an insult, I responded to that and then people started attacking my country. Americans get very defensive when you attack American, why can't I be defensive when you attack Canada? It's not like I'm sitting post 1-liners going hehe and crap like that. The post was moved to GCC where it should have originated, either there or cosmos, it didn't belong in one of the security forums to begin with.
    ok first off I resent that as i find it to be a personal attack on me. and you were the onw ehom keept it going, if i remember correctly, and i do, i left it first saying that i didnt wish to lower myself, and you them pm'd me continuing it.
    No hard feelings but i think that you really need to think about your actions in conjunction to how you are expecting other members of this forum to act.
    and i honestly do not think that you are a sutable canderdate to be a mod, wether it be a private forum thread or a normal forum thread.
    I surgest ms mittens would be an excolent selection.

"I was attack by someone with horrible spelling, which I consider to be an insult"
    second of all just from reading your posts in this thread, I see you as being some one who LOVES to get there own way and will do anything thay have to to get it, wether it be hurting others, sucking up to Mods. and double standards galore...

I think that it would be a grate idea to get rid of post counts and Ap's all to gether, Who cares about them, all thay are for is gloting, yippy im a seniour and your not... who gives a ****..
    yah ok i got most of my posts in chit chat threads, so what. make them not count, any post made in there does not count to your post count. or better yet get rid of them all to gether...
    and as far as AP's yah i got them in chit chat threads to... so what get rid of AP's to. along with the titles Newbe, Addict, JR member, Seniour Member ect, just hav Mods, we dont need them, thay are kinda like faulse advertising.
    a newbe comes in to a security forum sees a seniour and thinks WOW maybe I should go befriend them cos thay are a seniour meaning thay know a lot about security. thay are led in to beleaving that thay know alot due to there status, when thay may well no nothing.

Stop winging about the way the forum is, its not productive. if you wish to do somthing productive go out there and stop posting in non security threads unless thay are in the designated sections GCC ect.
    mods pull your fingers out and start deleating not closing or moving but deleating threads that are in the wrong forum, trouble makers ban them. ban there IP if need be.
    Come on people.

At this point in time i have no more to say.

Nightfalls_Girl

Originally posted here by HTRegz

I have to say I FULLY support this, web devel isn't on the main page.. so why should hardware be. A main arguement for peopel against the new forum idea was that the front page is all security, but in reality it isn't. I also think that there should be a new General Technologies forum for programming. I'm all for computer related discussion regardless of if it's security or not, but it should be kept off the main page and if you lookin the Programming security forum most of the posts are basic programming help.

I think we should have an OSs board, that way all the Linux install helps arent in GCC and ****. I mean damn, an OSs baord that showed up on the main page would rock! And hell Ill mod it.

Originally posted here by gore

I think we should have an OSs board, that way all the Linux install helps arent in GCC and ****. I mean damn, an OSs baord that showed up on the main page would rock! And hell Ill mod it.
    I dunno about the main page, but definately an OS forum would definately be a good idea as well. There should be a whole slew of general technologies forums, to cut down on the misuse of GCC and the Security Forums. They can make programming (and give it to me hehe ) and then they can give you an OS forum and they should give Web Dev. to GG she does more in there than anyone else. heh *keeps dreaming*

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Tidal: I negged you because you put up one of the most disrespectful posts I have seen here in a while.... I don't give a rats ass if your drunk or not.... Hell, when I negged you I was sat in my pub drinking a couple myself..... But I don't act out and then blame it on beer.... You probably shouldn't either!!!!!

I really don't care if the idea to have a hardware forum was pos'ed to the max.... I didn't pos it at all....... Look at the top of the page, it says:-

Maximum Security for a Connected World

.... and then you look at the front page and it looks like something out of "Bill's Computer Advice and Bait Shop" web site somewhere. If it isn't security related then it shouldn't be on the front page or the site description should be changed to something that better reflects the content on the front page. I have no problem with the other forums being there at all - the more help that can be provided the better - BUT - the front page should accurately represent the mission of the site - it doesn't.

I don't care either what you think about the standard of the posts in Addicts. Just like me, you have the opportunity to NOT click on the link taking you there - kinda like the hardware forum should be. I go there quite rarely because I agree - it's the place where the smart people here seem to degenerate into twittering irrelevance.... But that's just fine, that's what they want to do there and it isn't forced down my throat by being splattered all over the front page.

crying over the threads on the main page should be seen just as bad as crying over ap's.
    Well, I guess that comment places you firmly in the "I don't get it but I'm going to continue whining anyway because I like the attention it gets me" category. If you can't see the difference between maintaining the site in some semblance of what it is supposed to represent, (a computer security site, in case you have forgotten), and some lamer whining because they got negged then maybe you should you need to think about going to some other site where the content better reflects your level of intellect, because that concept is not exactly difficult to grasp.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I think at this point the thread needs to be closed. The arguments are turning somewhat circular and getting far too personal, IMHO.

*closed*
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage