Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Forum

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Originally posted here by HTRegz
    Half the irrelevant posts come from senior members who don't give a **** anymore and the moderators. heh

Umm.. I object to that comment personally. That said I do understand where you are coming from on some of this. Having to go around and delete posts/closed posts because conversations have degenerated from a decent discussion on some security topic to personal attacks is annoying. Certain threads have been left alone for conversation pieces and people are welcomed to use those.

But it would be nice if the security pieces were left as that and if the discussion remained focused.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

It isn't only AO that has members leaving and the site in general getting a 'bad name', it appears to me that a loooooooooooooot of the *well known* sites of late have had this happening to them. The reasons? Good question...I think the amount of computer newbies on an infinite increase has something to do with it, you can't keep the trash out when there's so much of it. Also, I see a lot of people getting tired of trying to keep their world, be it antionline or another forum together and 'skiddie-free'. It aggravates. I know of three people who have told me in the last two days, one I mentioned in a previous post, hUNT3R, another one said he posted a question here and merely because the # of posts he was ill-treated, which I tend to believe since he too has a fair amount of knowledge behind him. (has his own site, runs his own ircd server, OS is partitioned *nix/blows) He made his decision after struggling with that one post that AO was not the place for him, and moved on, another loss for this site....

The idea in question _IS_ a good idea in principle, but has never held together over the years from what I've seen. Call it what you will, who decides who gets in and how? An abundance of maintenance -- I have 30 posts? What if had asked on the first day here if I can get in? And now? And if I wasn't let in the reasoning would be? Even if it is somehow setup, which I have also seen accomplished, what tends to happen in these forums is staleness. The so-called '1337' (excuse the terminology) has no need to talk much about computer security. If you have a question, you know where to find there answer. You will put in the time to search and read rather than be spoonfed, which won't help you anyways...

Also, if you do end up forming something like this, make sure that those who are permitted entry to the forum give back to the community in some major way. No sense in having a *Senior Forum* if all the members do is sit around and admire themselves A monthly project, maybe free software, tutorials, E-zines, whatever, get it organized and assign duties to help make the site a better place.

/me is about to pass out on the keyboard...hope I didn't ramble too much

Star****ers|Inc

i've got an idea.. why not create a forum for serious Security issues and assign Moderator status let's say to HTregz since he came up with the idea and let him moderate the forum.
    Your'e kidding right?? He came up with the idea after posting 7 or so times
    in this threadhttp://www.antionline.com/showthread...708#post672806 contributing to the poor outcome of it. He then comes here crying about trash and
    "we must do something about it" garbage. What a hypocrit. Double standards that i would
    expect from you regz. Your idea has merit, only not coming from you, practise what you preach
    maybe then you'll get my vote, until then your'e just another double standard moron.

HT: an alternative suggestion would be to use the Conference option and invite those you want to a serious security discussion (attendence limited only by the creator of the Conference IIRC).

Perhaps that could help.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Banned
    But that's not the point , we want all of the pople to see the information and learn but that only serious stuff tobe posted so if some newbie comes posting another "non-sensical" thread in that forum it should be deleted ....

AntiOnline Addicts
    A forum for people who have a good knowledge of computers/security & who do not post meaninglessly. You must have 275 posts under your belt before you're able to view the threads in this forum.
    Isn't that what Addicts was supposed to be?

Originally posted here by MsMittens

Isn't that what Addicts was supposed to be?
    Come on MsM.. You've seen addicts, that isn't what it is.. that isn't even close to what it is. It's a bunch of people trying to raise their post count and talking about nothing relevent. I haven't seen a worthwhile post in there in prolly close to a month. The posts in there are a joke.

TidaLphasE23: As for that.... That was simple an attempt to raise my post count.. I replied to ask a question and make a comment. I was attack by someone with horrible spelling, which I consider to be an insult, I responded to that and then people started attacking my country. Americans get very defensive when you attack American, why can't I be defensive when you attack Canada? It's not like I'm sitting post 1-liners going hehe and crap like that. The post was moved to GCC where it should have originated, either there or cosmos, it didn't belong in one of the security forums to begin with.

I never said that is what it is. I asked if that wasn't what Addicts was supposed to be... (Past tense -- original idear).

That all said, why not use a conference for now and post the results of it in the Misc Security or Addicts forum when the discussion has reach it's final point (or after a certain period of time)? As an interim thing until/if JUPM does create a forum like you are suggesting.

Banned
    Post whoring moderators? I reckon thats aimed at me not you MsMittens.

Ok well I just browsed through this post and a couple of things struck me. Firstly that this forum idea is not origanal, the Addicts forum origanally for Terr was an invite only forum but JP I assume thought it was a bad idea. I have one major problem and that is to do with the invite system, all very well that a few people decide who gets in but I worry about what other members who dont get in will think especially newer members.

Although my ideas are already summed up by MsMittens and I think you should really take them into account.

By the way, AO is not going to hell or anything. You can ignore posts that annoy you, let people chat even if it is in Addicts, before the post whoring there Addicts was dead for a long, long time. A little bit of sifting aint gonna kill you.

Oh and I will post whore because I enjoy posting and often about meaningless crap but I have slipped in my helping out here, especially contrasted to when I joined and tutorial wise, I used to pop them out purty regular like.

GreekGoddess
    Why not try and make an active change. For example, take Addicts...try and post more security related threads in there, serious questions and such and work towards implementing a standard. Start more security related discussions, and if the conversation of the thread starts to go off-topic, post again in the thread to bring it back on task. An active effort on your part can make all the difference, believe it or not, especially in a community setting such as this.