Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window 2000 folder backup help

Window 2000 folder backup help

Before I format my hard disk due to virus, I copy all important files to a CD-R. One of the file folder I had set securtiy before back up, and I copy all the files back to C: drive upon installing a fresh win 2000. I can view the folders content but can't open the file. HELP PLEASE.

If you are the administrator of the machine, right click on the file/folder, select properties. Then go to the security tab and give your account full access to that file.

But you know what.. NTFS file permissions wouldn't even copy over to CD as CD's are formatted with CDFS, which has no permissions. It is more likely the case that the file is corrupt, or you miscreated the permissions on the folder when you recreated it.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    You might also want to try taking ownership of the entire folder before you try to change the permissions.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

in addition to mohaughns post:

make sure that you are owner of that folder/file - this option is on the security tab as well, just click on the *advanced* button.

if you are trying to modify the folder/file, make sure it is not read-only.

hope this helps.
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....

I am the administrator and I had check the property, everything seems okay. There are like 20 files in the folder, the files contained excel files, word, jpg files. The file size look okay to me. I can't even view the one on the CD. What else can I do?

are you getting any error messages?

do look at my earlier post and confirm that the administrator account indeed has full control over the files and make sure that you are the owner of the file.

Originally posted here by cllsiu
    I am the administrator and I had check the property, everything seems okay. There are like 20 files in the folder, the files contained excel files, word, jpg files. The file size look okay to me. I can't even view the one on the CD. What else can I do?
    Like somebody else asked, what kind of error message do you get? If you have checked the file permissions properly it sounds like the files are corrupted in some way that it is allowing them to be copied, but the program that opens them, office, is bombing out. Without knowing what kind of error you are receiving, that is really just a guess.

I had all the rights and permission already.

These are the error message I got:
    Excel file: The file is not a recoqnizable format.
    Word file: There is no error message, When I open it, its all little square.
    JPG file: No error message, can't open it.

Please comment.

if you receive those error messages when attempting to open the files from your local disk and the CD....i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like your files did not burn properly and are corrupt.

When I burned, I use NERO to burned many folders together, and these two folders that I set security on are the only two un-viewable, the rest of the folders are okay. It doesn't seems to be corrupted. I think it has to be some other kind of security issue.

Please comment.