Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Window 2000 folder backup help

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Jeb: On the bright side he said "Before I format my hard disk due to virus"..... If that's a fact then he's still ok..... If not..... Get the tissues....

cll: get them to a functional media and then try again....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

don't really get your point. Can you please elaborate

cllsiu - I would say that ( for whatever reason ) the security on the folders meant that they became corrupted on burning them to CD. The Excel and Word responses would strongly suggest that the files are corrupted, rather than that there is a security issue on the restored files - particularly as you are unable to access the files on CD either.

I think Tiger Shark's point was that if you have not yet reformatted your drive, then you will still have the files. However, I think it is too late for this. There may be tools available to get your data back, but the files as you currently have them would seem to be gone.

cllsiu- There are no file permissions on the CDFS file system. When you copy files from an NTFS drive to a CD all of the NTFS permissions are lost. The same things happens if you copy NTFS files to any file system other than NTFS. It is possible that the permissions you had assigned caused the burn process not to work, but your files are definitely corrupted.

Elite Hacker
    I have to ask this real quick just to be sure, have you installed word and excel since you reinstalled the system? I know it's a stupid question, but I have tried to open word files before then realized I haven't even installed word. But since the jpeg's don't work either along with everything else, I would have to go with most everyone and say that the files are corrupt.

Yes, I had installed Word as well as Excel. Is there any programs that fix corrupted files?

I had downloaded some programs that fix corrupted files and it doesn't work. Any other possibilities besides corrupted?

cllsiu- The data is gone. In most cases when a file is corrupted it cannot be repaired. There are certain instances where maybe just the header of the file gets screwed up and you can sometimes fix that type of problems. I would have to say that your data is gone.