sad to see sun losing money
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sad to see sun losing money

sad to see sun losing money

It reminds me of apple and novell. This only increase microhard's hegemony in the IT world.

Get up Sun and push back, cut prices, land contracts.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    But who is Sun losing market share to? Microsoft? I doubt it. I think it's more the RH and SUSEs of the world that is taking more from them. And Sun, IIRC, hasn't been too eager about having people download their CDs. I remember being able to order the CDs for the cost of CDs and shipping (Solaris 7) but now, IIRC, you have to pay something like $100USD.

Sun has some benefits with the Open Office Project (a sweet project IMHO) and they have mentioned a new desktop OS for $50 but they aren't marketing it as much as they should..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Banned
    I agree with MsMittens. From what I've seen over the past few years, Sun is having trouble defining their position in the marketplace. Good OS, good products overall. Almost no marketing. Sun keeps taking pot shots at Microsoft, when they need to focus their time and energy on the *nix side of the game.

I was a little disturbed when they bought out StarOffice. They did put a lot more R&D in the product cycle than the previous company, and spun off the open source for OpenOffice. But, I think they alienated previous StarOffice licensees (like me) during the changeover. I never renewed my StarOffice license.

Sun's b&b has never been the desktop. They are losing money to HP (datacenters) and IBM (enterprise big iron) hardly the RH masters of the world. However, in a sop to both aforementioned firms, they do both push it and I like that. Part of my point was MS is moving into the data center/enterprise govt - big biz realm and the one most suffering for that is SUN. IBM has always been in that market and HP has a history there as well.

btw you can still download the entire os and get the sun office suite for pocket change.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I have delt wih sun for years, and I for one will not be sad seeing them go. If you thaught MS was bad be happy that you never saw a sun dominated market place, the security of solaris was horrable, and I think they purposly made it incompatable with jsut about any other unix platform.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Banned
    Yes, and was it CodeRed or Nimda that first infected Solaris systems, then leapfrogged from those to scan and infect IIS systems?

I remember those to be pretty crazy days, so things got a bit confused.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    CodeRed or Nimda that first infected Solaris systems
    Umm... I doubt that either CodeRed or Nimda infected Solaris. A solaris system may have detected it but I'd be extremely surprised if they were "infected".

Where did you hear this?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

rapier57: I assume that was sarcasim. I worked on sun during the well our version of bind has a easy root exploit, oh and we wont fix it till the nex version of solaris...oh and you have t opay for that..oh and it wont run on sparc2's so you have to buy new hardware also...or you can just allow taht remote root. There may be less worms and viri hitting solaris but it isn't secure by any strech of the imagination.

The worm was sadmind, and unfortunately, there is a new vulnerability in sadmind and a worm that is trying to use it...

As far as Sun goes, sorry, I love them. Yeah their stuff was a little hard to get used, but now that I 'grok' it, I love it. With that being said, Sun has put alot of energy into alot of things lately, recently upgrading all of their enterprise (Sun Fire) servers and going into the lower end market with their LX50's running on an Intel platform with Linux (never thought I would see that out of Sun) as well as some pretty cool additions to their OS in Solaris 9. The only major problem that I see right now with Sun is their pricing. Almost every bit of Sun hardware is proprietary, and for this they charge an arm and a leg (1700 for a quad card, 300 for a CDROM (a crappy one at that), etc). People look at that versus the cost of for example a dell poweredge running RedHat for the lower-end, or an IBM mainframe on the higher end, and Sun just isn't winning many of those battles. They used to be able to get around the pricing hurdle by having superiour speed out of their RISC architecture; however, with the exponential growth in the speed of Intel chips and the slow growth of the SPARC and its internal hardware, their performance edge is either gone or very close to gone. Combine that with pricing and the result is obvious.

They have gotten better about their pricing recently, but IMHO they have a very long way to go. They have made some important strides in improving their product, but they are going to have to do better with their pricing in a business environment like today where money is not always available and certainly not available in those amounts.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Don't get me wrong Iwoudn't turn down a sunfire if it was offered, and I loved my SPARCBook, but if the positions of Sun and MS where reversed we would be no better off.