Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somebody has been reading my email

Somebody has been reading my email

I have a web site on a shared apache server. It's very apparent that somebody is successfully hacking into my partners emails to try and get damaging personal info (nothing illegal). We only know this because these email show up in unexpected places.

I've contacted my web host and they see no problems on the server side of things.

We've been naive about this in the past and have not used any encryption or anything. I have no idea how these emails are being hacked but it's time to get smart :-)

So my question is where to start?

I'm checking into digital IDs and encryption. I'm still a bit vague on this stuff. Any good tutorials? What's the best to use?

Should I be concerned about trojans? We have virus detection but do we need some other way to check for hacker tools?

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
    Tim

You didn't really post anything about what you're using to access the messages or what the configuration of the mail server is (POP3, IMAP) so it's kind of hard to say.
    First things first, I would change your password to something that's a bit complicated and less likely to be guessed (software or human). Use numbers, special characters, upper and lower-case letters.
    Beyond that, you've got to give us some more information

Hey, ask away if I missed anything.

It's a POP3 account. I believe my host is using sendmail.

Outlook Express for reading the emails.

If you want to encrypt your E-Mail, I recomend getting PGP. It includes a plug in for Express so that you can encrypt your messages very easily. I got my PGP implementation from http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html but it doesn't seem to be working. You can just do a google search for PGP and you'll find many implementations that you can use.

Yes PGP is the best. It is free for non-commercial use. What do you mean about emails showing up in different places? On the hard drive? If that is the case, someone might have access to your computer. What firewall do you have in place?

"I've contacted my web host and they see no problems on the server side of things."

If you ask me, sounds suspicious.
    Trickk-en-os-sis: A worm or more less a snake that eats inside of meat, nonetheless the mind.

Actually, email are very insecure, because any server that it goes through can read it just as easily as you. So, it could be that another server upstream has been hacked. Or, if the sysadmins on one of the servers, that your email goes through, is less than reputable he/she could be reading them too.

well iam quite with Trichinosis but still threatn the host dat u'll move out n may be then they'll help u u can also report to a cyber cell branch if u feel too insecure

T3h Ch3F

No Offense but

Originally posted here by maximum2000
    Actually, email are very insecure, because any server that it goes through can read it just as easily as you. So, it could be that another server upstream has been hacked. Or, if the sysadmins on one of the servers, that your email goes through, is less than reputable he/she could be reading them too.

This is just too funny. Jeez man, the SYS Admin comment is classic.

Just a dumb ass post. Please read a bit on the site before making Ill ass statements.

The original question is not a bad one. Bro just get a Firewall, use Crpto in your Emails, use a Trojan Scanner, dont tell people your password when your drunk, or spell it out in a scrabble game. And your E-Mails will be secure..kind of I guess. Unless your Gates who is going to try and crack your E Mail anyway.

Rant over.

P:

Galdron (not intended as a flame).....my systems were being scanned over and over...
    When I reported it to the abuse department.....the fellow made a strange comment. (like "He was doing it to test for vulnerabilities") He got fired the next day. Seems he was checking lots of computers for 'vulnerabilities'.

Was it Orwell who said "Who is watching the watchers?"