Cannot restore Ghost image of ext3 partition

Thread: Cannot restore Ghost image of ext3 partition

Cannot restore Ghost image of ext3 partition

I am currently trying to clone an ext3 partition via a ghost image backup. The backup appears to complete successfully, however it will always fail an integrity check and will not restore without error. The error I am getting is below:
    ABORT: 31011
    Unexpected packet type: found 3, expecting file data
    I have found some references to this problem, however no solutions. Google search results can be found here.

I am running an up to date version of Ghost 2003, build 789, have recently run fsck at boot time and no errors were found. My system is multi-booting Win2K, Win2003, and Slackware 9.1. I have tried saving the image file to several drives and filesystems to no avail. All filesystems have been umounted before running the backup.

Attached is an error dump from ghost.exe.

Has anyone seen/solved this problem before?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Couple of questions:

Which Ghost version is it?

And is the drive size/partition size the same?? (sounds stupid but I do recall an old problem with ghost in regards to this)

Symantec's Website has a fair amount of references to this.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ghost version 2003, build 789. It is up to date as of today. For testing purposes I am attempting to backup and restore to the same partition right now. It's not just the restore that fails. It also fails the image integrity check before a restore is actually run. I checked symantec's website and the only useful info I could find was this. I tried all the solutions presented there, to no avail.

According to Symantec, Ghost is fully compatiple with the ext3 filesystem.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Are you doing this remotely?? and is this from drive-to-drive or CD-to-drive?

This problem is seen most often when creating an image file locally on a dual-boot computer having Linux and Windows XP. Forcing Linux to check the file systems before creating the image file may resolve the problem. Type the following at a Linux command line:

shutdown -F -r now
    The -F must be in uppercase. It forces Linux to run FSCK on all file systems on startup. The -R restarts the computer. After FSCK repairs any errors, run Ghost to create the image.
    Perhaps there is an error in the ext3?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

This is being done drive-to-drive locally, both the backup and the restore. I tried the shutdown -R -f now, and that didn't work, either. No errors were reported. I'm at a total loss here.

Did you use uppercase or lowercase?? (I know these are stupid questions but it helps me get an idea of what's going on.. hard when not looking over someone's shoulder)

The F was uppercase... the r was lowercase.

No offense, I've made dumber mistakes.

Could it be because it's a triple boot?

Hrmm.. this is a tricky one.

I think if that were the case then neither of the other two partitions would image properly either. I have tested both other images and both work perfectly.