Creating shortcuts to command prompt utilities

Thread: Creating shortcuts to command prompt utilities

Creating shortcuts to command prompt utilities

I have a question about my Windows XP setup. I use the command prompt often and I was curious as to if I can install shortcuts on my desktop to various command line utilities such as nmap and fport rather than opening up the command prompt and typing each one out.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

Find where the program is installed. Should be C:\Program Files Find the nmap folder, find the .exe file, right click it, select send to then select desktop.
    =

I tried that but it just flashes the command prompt window briefly then it closes. I don't have a gui for nmap, just the command line.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    The command prompt can be accessed from a shortcut by using the following syntax:

cmd.exe /c "C:\here\this.exe"

That will open the window and if the program called is a command prompt program it will immediately close.....

try:

cmd.exe /k "c:\here\this.exe"

the /k keeps the window open regardless.....

I don't have the utilities here to test but it should work.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Thank you Tiger Shark, that did the trick.

Tiger Shark's suggest will definately work, but for programs like that running just nmap.exe is just going to display the help file. The problem with most dos apps is that they require arguements. At the very least I need nmap <ip address> or ping <ip address>. If I have a shortcut this address is always going to change. If you are always running your scans or whichever programs against the same addresses (weekly system audit or such) and you just want to semi-automate that process. Then you could create a batch file.
    Code:
    Example
    nmap -sS 127.0.0.1 | more
    pause
    Other than that, you'd have to write scripts in vbs, perl, php or an app in vb/c, you can really use anything you want, that prompts you for the options because the options will always be changing.
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".