Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsofts OS a threat to National Security?

at last the goverment is going to stop... M$... I think..... well I hope... coz it is killing all its competition......

Banned
    coz it is killing all its competition
    Compare now to 5 years ago... do you have more OS choices or less?

catch

I feel that the fact that Windows is the most popular OS is the reason for this conclusion. If Linux had the kind of market share that Microsoft does, then the situation would be reversed, with Linux being declared a threat to National Security.
    I don't think that Linux could ever be called a threat to national security, because the reason for them calling MS this is because they are a "Monopoly" and since Linux is mostly free, well they would have a hard time being called a 'Monopoly'. IMO.
    --Kristoph

In this months PCMagazine there is an article that brings up an interesting story.
    The story goes that The government approached Bill Gates with the idea of creating a backdoor
    in Windows, for government use, and Bill Gates said no effing way. He waould not do it because he feared that it would soon be found by non goernment interests and exploited, then exposed
    and POOF would go the Microsoft market share. The case is made that his balking was what started the Government's interest in breaking up the monopoly and also that that is the reason for his attitude of contempt for the lawsuit. When asked what he saw as the biggest threat to Microsoft was, Bill Gates prontly replied, "State Control". Strange that he would say that, huh?

Banned
    Ethernet, no offense but that article is complete bs. How do I know? because such a backdoor would violate Windows' security evaluation which would make Windows no longer viable for the current government use it enjoys. the government has no replacement system at this time or pending to fill this role, consequently the government would screw themselves out of their primary operating system.

A very bad and beyond unlikely event.

catch