• The grey eye is cool!!!

0 0%
  • The mask - def the Mask

1 0.90%
  • Something simple - just the V

0 0%
  • WTF do I care???

2 1.80%
  • Ennis naked, I\'m in love with him seriously.

102 91.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wire less or with wires

Question wire less or with wires

I am getting a Wireless LAN in da house.........

I still have my old Lan wired......
    I want to know wt u ppl think

keep the old 1 or get Wireless

If drilling holes, putting cable everywhere are a problem: switch to wireless
    If these are not a problem: keep the wired one, wireless is more expensive, and might be unstable if you have alot of iron i.e. in your house (probably not a problem I think, I have a wlan and it's very stable)
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

well the wires r in ......... but not in all the rooms...

& the place is not an Iron..... Bunker....

The major problem with wireless networks is security. I had a friend over with a wireless enabled notebook and we were able to sniff my neighbour's network. We went wardriving in downtown Toronto once and picked up well over fifty open access points in the space of 4 or 5 blocks. For more information, see this tutorial by Plastic.

If you want to use wireless networking, be sure to encrypt all your communications. It may not keep the mob or the CIA out, but it would keep me out.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Yeah, but wireless security isn't very important for homeusers, just configuring the router/switch (WEP, SSID broadcasting,...) properly and it'll be secure enough (only talking about wireless protection ofcourse)
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

well I will only be pluing 6PC's
    so I can handel the Security......
    plus I wont put any thing I need to hide on a Lan........
    I still have my old P1.... with a CD drive.... tht is like 2X.... lol
    I keep all my Important stuff there..... on a 4gig HDD....
    so every thing is safe

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I had this choice to make last month, I went with Cat5E wiring.

* It's cheaper
    * It's faster 100Mb/s (what's the fastest wireless?)
    * It's not that hard to run cabling.
    * It's more secure from prying eyes.

I live in a two story house (I own it, so no landlord issues). It has an unfinished cellar and an unfinished attic. There's a sewer gas pipe that runs from the cellar through the attic. I can pass all of the low voltage wiring I want through the "chase" that the pipe runs in.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

I believe the fastest wireless is 54mps.

I will continue to stay with wired networking, untill I see more security and faster speeds with wireless. Besides, its to expensive right now for me. Once they start having 100mps speeds, then I might switch, but untill then I'm sticking with cat 5.
    =

cheyenne1212 > 802.11a is 54mbit/s, but I've heard the equipment is much more expensive than the usual 802.11b, which is currently the most used of the three wifi standards (a,b,g)

Also, other devices such as microwaves, certain cordless telephones, and other household items can cause interference with the signal. The freedom of movement is definately nice, but my vote of advice is to keep the wired network in place, if all else as a separate network to keep computers on that might have more private information, while using the wireless network for less sensitive purposes.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

I always that that 802.11a was 11mbps 802.11b was 24 and g was 54.
    =