Thread: win2kserver dhcp lease

win2kserver dhcp lease

I have a proxy server running on win2k, and it has two nics. one connected to the modem, and one to the internal network. There's the dhcp server which which hands out the IPs. THe nic to the modem has a lease that always expires in a week, or sometimes an hour. When the lease expires, the clients in the internal network can't reach the internet. Is there a way I can configure the lease so it won't expire. My ISP is Comcast also....If there are more things I should clear up than tell me. I would love to fix this problem.. I've tried to flush, release..and nothing works.....
    Just chill....

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    On Comcast, and on many other cable ISP's, your lease should be indefinite - with the disclaimer that they can chose to renew it when they want - or, if you leave the cable modem itself off for more than 24 hours they might switch it on you just to peeve you....

I'm no great defender of Comcast.... I've had my battles with them.... but the IP address stays pretty constant except when they are doing network changes in your area..... then it can change regularly and at any minute.... In that case I council patience, ('cos there's not much point in bitching... the people you talk to have no clue about what is going on). If it goes on for more than a week or two then maybe there is another issue.... In which case call the support and ask to be routed to level 2 straight away..... It has worked for me a couple of times.... you will get some techs that will want to go through their BS but as they do, answer their questions and keep insisting on level 2... they pretty soon get the message that you know what you are talking about and pass you up the line.....

Good luck.... I don't envy you ......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Banned
    *Moved from Tutorials*

Just a bit more info like the Modem what type Cable, DSL, Dial-In? Since I have Comcast I've noticed that their DHCP server will attempt to re-assign my IP since my firewall blocks that little thing I do not give up the IP I have and the one I have cannot be used again unless I release it dah I get to keep it. If you actually use a dial-in modem your pretty much stuck with events. Yeah I do know a few business that actually have networks that still use dial in modems because they are to cheap to go ADSL and I'd have to check but think Comcast charges different for business then home users with their own network. But really modem can mean several things now days sort of interchangable term with nebies. Might want to also look at a script file that runs ipconfig /renew from the task manager at a set time before the lease expires.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Good idea palemoon...you could try something like this in a bat file run periodicaly if there's no way of knowing when your ip changes:

echo ipconfig /renew >>0.bat
    echo @echo connection is good >>1.bat
    ping -n 1 yahoo.com |find /C "Reply" >check.bat
    call check.bat
    del 0.bat
    del 1.bat
    del check.bat

i put in connection is good for trouble shooting from a command prompt/
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I'm using cable. Once I turn off the proxy server and turn it back on, the lease expiration date changes from 1 hour to sometimes a week. I'm running ISA on it, I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. I'm getting weird DHCP errors in the event viewer like ID1000, 1003, and 1007. I checked them out, but all I want to do is change the lease expiration to indefinite or to 2 months, so it won't expire every freaking week. Thanks for the info. I have contacted comcast and they haven't called back in a freakin week. Thanks for the info guys. I'm pretty sure this post should not be in the tutorials section, and just realized it. I'll ask in the newbies next time...
    Just chill....