Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BoF in mIRC

BoF in mIRC

theres a script going around that uses a DCC to cause a buffer overflow in the mIRC client causing the victim/s to crash.

the only defense against it right now is to not allow dcc

/ignore -wd *
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Thanks for the warning Another one of the reasons I'm weary of IRC. I only use it when I have too.
    --Kristoph

i like IRC...

that problem has been fixed.

"mIRC v6.12 has been released to address a remote vulnerability found yesterday, capable of crashing your mIRC. The vulnerability affects versions of mIRC from v6.0 onwards, so it is highly recommended that you upgrade to mIRC v6.12. "

download the new version of mIRC from here:
    http://www.mirc.com/
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!

Don't use the most common IRC client? Sound like too easy of a fix =P Everyone always complains about the inherent flaws in this, that, the other, when all you need to do is stop using that which is most often attacked. Sick of attacks on Windows? Get off it...tired of IE takeover attempts? Get off it...sick of bugs in mIRC? ....These programs and many, many more are targeted because of the sheer mass of people that use them, and will remain that way.

Star****ers|Inc

Gosh..
    A day ago the only way you can avoid the problem is to get an mIRC client under 6.0

haha gotta love going backwards before you can go forwards. going under 6.0 probibly make people vuln. to other problems.
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!

I always wondered, you never hang in IRC Tedob1. Why is that?

RE: It is the IRC man

Personally I dont like mIRC, especially since they started charging for it. I prefer Death Angel script (non war version) or Xircon(spelling perhaps...).

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Originally posted here by Star****ers|Inc
    Don't use the most common IRC client? Sound like too easy of a fix =P Everyone always complains about the inherent flaws in this, that, the other, when all you need to do is stop using that which is most often attacked. Sick of attacks on Windows? Get off it...tired of IE takeover attempts? Get off it...sick of bugs in mIRC? ....These programs and many, many more are targeted because of the sheer mass of people that use them, and will remain that way.

Star****ers|Inc
    What seemed like an interesting discussion about this was started here Pity it never really got going.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com