Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help needed-bios problem?maybe?

help needed-bios problem?maybe?

hi all,
    not sure this is a hardware problem but it might be.
    got computer from work.we get rid of them as they get older.so i decided to take one home and do it for kids.
    when i put it on had a password and bios password too.so i took batery out and waited few minutes and put it back and now i am stuck with screen which says to press delete to set up.when i did that nothing happened.
    tried reboot, tried changing keyboard nothing f8 and things same thing is on the screen.
    Dont know motherboard model because i didnt explored everithig yet but screen says:

award modular bios v6.00pg
    intel 810 agp set bios for 6wmmc7
    intel celeron 766mhz
    question:
    can you download this bios?
    is it anything else misssing there?
    opened case and motherboard with integrated video and sound
    memory 48
    hd 20gb
    sony cd
    and sony floppy
    any sugestions???
    thanks

There might be a jumper on the motherboard that called clear rtc. I can't remember the settings but switching them all off of on I believe will clear the BIOS. Of course take the batter out again and do this. YOu might also try touching the retaining clip of the battery compartment to the ground. I've heard that that helps to reset them.

Thats all I can think of right now. Maybe that will reset the BIOS and let you in.
    =

Cheyenne you beat me to it! Yea that's what I was going to tell you. Can you look and see what brand of motherboard you have? At work this is a common occurence and there should be usually a pair of jumpers that you can switch to reset BIOS. What is the computer brand? Here is a link to someone with the Exact same problem http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hard..._20655019.html it has a page with the solution to the problem. Same MO, screen stay blank etc. Check it out.
    --Kristoph

We do bios resets all the time for people at work that try to be slick :P. What is normally done to reset the bios is to take the battery jumper off completely, and leave it off for about 15 seconds. Just to be sure that the bios is clean, leave the battery jumper off and start the PC back up, you'll most likely get an error, but pay no mind to it. After that is done, then replace the battery jumper back on the appropriate pegs, and start the PC back up.

The problem also could be that when you took off the battery jumper, that it was not fully replaced, the error messages you get vary, depending upon the motherboard. Let me know if this helps you any.

Sorry, I forgot to add to my post that on some motherboards you'll notice that the jumper is labeled with a "bty", "battery", or like cheyenne said, "rtc"...by the way cheyenne, I've never heard of touching the battery clip to the ground...props to you for that one, I'll have to try it
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

I never heard of it either till I had some problems and had a tech support guy tell me to do that as a last resort since setting the jumpers to clear the ram and removing the batter didn't work.
    =

Lightbulb bios problem

dear friend,

i had just attached the bios file u mentioned & bios agent
    which will help u.

Sometimes the system will accept it.

Hey do u have the manual for your motherboard??
    Well this is first time i hear about this kind of a problem, but i suggest that u remove the battery and wait for longer (few hours), and see the result.

The FACT that people ignore FACTS
    doesnt mean that FACTS are not FACTS

thanks guys will do some serious trys tomorrow as now is late thanks for your help will let you know whats happen
    thnks

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Re: bios problem

Originally posted here by krp
    dear friend,

i had just attached the bios file u mentioned & bios agent
    which will help u.

Sometimes the system will accept it.
    This is probably legit, but never the less....

I don't think I would do a bios flash upgrade from a file posted by someone you don't know and I would reccomend you do not either.!

Steve

/edit

Removed the word newbie so as not to dis newbies - their opinions are as valid as anyone elses.

I beg the forgiveness of those I have offended.

If you trust the source of the download, please download and install!
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

hi again
    have tried all suggestions not lucky yet,
    found- motherboard is gigabyte rev 4.0 with ga-6wmmc7 tried to find manual with google but run out of patience.
    will keep trying.
    when i took jumper out screen gave me un error message but when i put it back still same screen.
    thanks