Qualifications(job opportunities)

Thread: Qualifications(job opportunities)

Qualifications(job opportunities)

Hi all, iv'e been out of school for a while now, and i decided not to go to college because i was going to get some qualifications like MCSE etc...etc... ok well after i left school i started using Linux/BSD again and i decided i would never use a windows box again except for gaming..........iv'e been using linux about 6 months so i know my fair share.

Anyway more to the point i want to get into the computer industry some where, weather it be a networking engineer, administration(with unix/linux systems) or something to do with internet security in genereal .

Ok so heres to the people who know what there talking about, how easy is it to get into the indsutry? and what qualifications should i go for to get into this line of work obviousely it's not easy because you have to know what your doing, and if you get into some company and say you dont know how to do something it's going to make you look bad etc...etcc... so basically tell me how i should go about getting into the industry and what steps i should take, thank you in advance.

ps. I have great enthusiasm for networking/security/programming basically anything that has 1's and 0's and has a keyboard.
    [glowpurple]www.openbsd.org - Unix for the practical paranoid[/glowpurple]

I think each company has their own Information System or IT department which determine what kind of technology infrastructure they need. For internal usually they use Local Area Network (LAN) and to communicate with the 'outside' they need Wide Area Network (WAN).
    From that point, it will divide to hardware (computer, modem, printers..etc) and software (OS:Windows, Linux...Application, games..) .
    Many kind of bussines and industries has integrated computer and Information and technology to their bussines activities, so..your have so many choices to computer industry.
    They need someone that can solve many various problems related to computer technology

it's my two cent

Hexem,

One thing to look into is getting a Cisco certification. Start by getting a CCNA if you can. That will open a number of options to you. A lot of companies require CCNA if you want to get a networking type of job and it will also help you get a better understanding of networking in general.

You can pick up a Cisco book to prep for the exam for +/- $60 I think, and the exam is not too expensive. You can also get training software on the net.

I know it may not be what you are looking for in the short term, but believe me, it will help you down the road. I have been trying to get my CCNA for a while now, but my job keeps getting in between me and studying time.

Cheers,

BrainStop
    "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two, and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus we allocate two days for a one-hour task." -- Westheimer's Rule

Hi Hexem,

A little difficult to answer your question. From your flag, I assume you are talking UK?...the answer would depend on where you are

If you like you can PM me and I will give you a few links that might be useful?

Cheers

Im from the UK, done my GCSE's, A-Levels, And got a 2:1 degree in IT - and i cant get a job anywhere in IT.

Dont bother with uni etc, get yourself on a microsoft certified engineer course and a cisco 1 and go from there

Thanks for the replies everyone, nihil yes im in the uk, i think i deffnitely plan on taking the cisco exam as im aware that would deffnitely be a good choice as most networks are using cisco hardware/software etc..etc

extreme i dont think i really want to go do the MCSE even thou thats what i first intended i know i should keep an open mind, but i really dont want to work with ms systems, firstly i dont feel as thou i can flow as well as i do in unix/linux , i know when i do get into a job it may require use of using windows, but if anything i will aim at a company specifically requiring someone specializing within those enviroments.

thanks for the input everyone

and nihil pm me those links
    [glowpurple]www.openbsd.org - Unix for the practical paranoid[/glowpurple]

OK mate, will do, and to the other UK subscribers to this thread.

OK my American friends, it is a long way to commute, and I don't expect you would want to take the pay cut............although you would have the priviledge of keeping my beer content stable

Cheers