Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Computers and parts for free or nearly free.

Do not trust computer shows! I found out that the saleswomen was hot and so was the pc.

here in lebanon..... if u want free PC's...... u must be realy lucky......coz... the oldest pc's r P1... & r usualy.. keep by the Admin.. for spair parts..... since some companies ..... HUGE 1's still use em... & the old pc's r the only way that the Admin.s & technichens can get the parts. they need...

This looks a cool idea but not here where i live. Even if u have a 386 machine, you will find someone to buy it.

The FACT that people ignore FACTS
    doesnt mean that FACTS are not FACTS

I went to the local Computer Shops and i asked the manager's if they had any old computer boxes that they wanted to get rid offf?
    After 30 minutes of some severe ass kissing, i finally walked out of the shops with arms full of equipment.
    Fine the stuff wasn't state of the art. But hey i now got 5 other machines running different Operating Systems, and i even had enough parts left over to make a Warserver for me and a few mates.

Anyhow even though you will run across stingy Bastards you will always find a Manager who will fall for the sob sob story..
    Just bring your missus with you, get her to flirt with him, and your set.

Cheers

And that Dumpster Diving routine is dangerous i did that once, and i got bashed by some dudes who were out bashing up homeless people.
    So stay away from those Dumpsters at night!
    No matter how tempting they might seem don't do it it hurts to much...

Goodnight!

i have to agree i work for a company in the uk and every so many years they replace every computer and strangly enough put the old ones in the dumpster..needlesss to say we take them out as quick as they put them in ..but its hit and miss one bloke managed to get a 21inch mointor and a 600 mhz box thats the best find up to now ......but i can wait till there next computer binning as they have just purchased tft mointors so hurry up and bin them pcs........we also have a lot of dumpster raiders which they dont seem t mind...one mans junk is another mans treasure
    a man with hole in his pocket feels cocky all day

If you go to a school or a college try this: High school down, try to talk to the tech people, they usually store everything (they can't throw it away until it has passed the boards approval) and they will usually just let you have what you want. Next, try the board of education. Everything from every school in that buildings district will be sent there for storage or approval for tossing. Talk to the tech person working there and they will give you anything that is cleared and sometimes stuff that isn't.

College stuff is a little more remote. On campus when a computer goes bad, first it is raided for any good parts (usually sans motherboard) and then the rest is stored. If you get in with the tech people and you need specific small parts, they will hook you up with them. As for stored items, you can find many monitors, old fun stuff, and plenty of cases. Sometimes you will find some good stuff.

I had a friend who would do this and then ebay the stuff she got. She got 3000 dollars that summer to build a very nice system...FREE.

The magic password for all of these situations is "I am a student and am need of parts for hardware study or systems work." After that they are more than obliged to help you out.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

some tips for dumpster diving:

1. do not run if the cops come , most of the time they are just curious and dont really care and you can cliam ignorance if they do . If you run though they know you know you are doing something wrong.

2. Carry all your loot in the trunk of your car not the backseat. If the cops come and see a backseat full of goods they will tend to be more suspicous and besides you dont want dumpster gunk all over your seats do ya?

3. do not hop fences. if it is fenced in there is a reason for it. you can not claim to not be stealing if you jump a fence.

4. keep empty boxes in your back seat. if a cop comes you can tell him that you are helping a friend move and need empty boxes. suprising how many times this will work.

5. most important of all do not dive anywhere with food.....trust me it is nasty to get someones 2 week old salad on your hands.

i have also found that cell phone stores are good places to dive you can find all sorts of cool cell phone accesories and such back there plus if get lucky you may get a working cell phone like i did =) have fun kids
    chown -r us ./bases

Smart mnchur very very smart. What about locked dumpsters, I am assuming that you wouldn't pick them?
    -Walt Whitman-

i would sugguest not picking locked dumpters ....what i would sugguest though is picking through home improvement store dumpsters you can find all sorts of odds and ends in those =)
    chown -r us ./bases

Really...What interesting finds have you come across?
    -Walt Whitman-