Mac's Mistake
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac's Mistake

Mac's Mistake

In my opinion, and most everyone elses, Macintoshes suck. You know why? Ill tell you why. It's because they are the ONLY distributers. They are the only ones that build Macintosh's computers.

Banned
    /me starts wondering what the hell that rat is talking about.

Have you ever even used a Mac?

Come back and talk to me when you learn a little about Hardware. I am not saying you don't know what you are talking about but. There is definately a smell of Bull coming from your way.

In my opinion... I'd never buy one.

I'm not saying I wouldn't use one...

I don't like the fact that they are so expensive and you can't build your own. They can't do anything for me that a PC can't. I'm not into graphics or any type of design... so I'll stick with a m$/linux based PC.

I was given a MAC PowerPC Performa (something like 100mhz w/16mb ram) some time ago, and I really didn't like it. I still have it though... holding my desk down in case of a tornado or something. Anyone wanna buy it? US $5.00 + shipping I can't get anyone I know to buy it...

One thing I did like was it was very easy to get it on my network.
    When I first tried linux... I had a hell of a time.

Its been said that if Microsoft built cars, you'd have to close all windows and tun it off then back on again at least 2 times a day. If mac built cars, they would be more stable, but could only run on 10% of the roads.

The moral of the story. IF you buy a MAC there will be very limited programs for you especially if you are into gaming.
    =

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    /me sense religious debate troll...

That said, I'd have to ask if you've ever used one?

I've actually had the pleasure of using a Mac since 1984 and have quite a few at home for a variety of things but mostly for my desktop publishing. Pagemaker and Photoshop work wonderfully on Mac and make me some decent cash. But I don't stop there with it...

We now have OS X (*nix based OS), Yellow Dog PPC (Power PC Linux), FreeBSD (old intel box), Slackware/Windows (PIII box) and occassionally when I get bored I blow away BSD and put in Novell 6. What's the point? Each OS has it's place and value. They serve purposes for what I want to do or learn. If you solely believe one point of view without truly exploring it, you may not see some of the benefits. Macs aren't gaming machines and were never designed for that purpose. They do exceptionally well in the DTP and graphic design market for a reason.

Oh.. and at one time, you could custom design macs with the clone manufacturers (specifically Power Computing) but Apple flucked up that deal (morons!)

Anyways, some things to consider.

And remember kids, don't feed the trolls.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    ummm, you can build your own. You can buy anything you would need. There are motherboards for upgrading older machines from G3 to G4. You can buy replacement CPU's if you want to change from 1.0 to 1.25 ghz or whatever.

They are not the only company where you can buy them either. Go to CompUSA and you can buy a Mac. CDW has Mac also. You need a better argument.

And btw, the G5 is the fastest computer on the market rn, so you can't say speed. The only reason why you can say they suck is price an the fact that they don't run windows programs....but if you get virtualPC, you can run any windows program also.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Mac fans sure are loyal though arent they?

BIOS Bomber
    Originally posted here by souleman
    You need a better argument.

And btw, the G5 is the fastest computer on the market rn, so you can't say speed. The only reason why you can say they suck is price an the fact that they don't run windows programs....but if you get virtualPC, you can run any windows program also.

Actually the fastest computer is an IBM blue gene l. somewhere around 360GHz. just because i cant buy one doesnt mean it isnt there I have no probs with macs, i just think they should cost less.
    "When in doubt, use Brute Force."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Originally posted here by souleman
    ummm, you can build your own. You can buy anything you would need. There are motherboards for upgrading older machines from G3 to G4. You can buy replacement CPU's if you want to change from 1.0 to 1.25 ghz or whatever.
    Ok, I take back my statement. You CAN build your own... I read an article about that somewhere... I think I even posted it here.

You can't however have a variety of hardware to put in it. You are limited because there are only a few manufacturers for MAC hardware and you have no competition... so its expensive. Same with software. Or... am I talking out my a$$? I know VERY VERY little about MACs... and probably should have never posted in this thread to start with.

Besides.. you don't get all the cool security tools for MAC that you can for m$ or linux... or can you?

Maybe I'll stop by COMPUSA and check out OSX. The last one I used I think was OS4? I think... not sure.

It is on a Macintosh Perfoma 6300CD (PowerPC) that I got for free. (Still looking for someone to buy it... )

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You mean this article? http://www.macopz.com/buildamac/

.. Macintosh Perfoma 6300CD (PowerPC) that I got for free. (Still looking for someone to buy it...)

Good luck! Heck, I recently got a PowerBook 100 for $5. And I doubt that OS X will run on the 6300 ( http://www.apple-history.com/frames/? ). Too old. Might be able to run Yellow Dog or another Linux on it though.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage