Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot!!!

OK I am having to guess/assume a lot here, because you did not give us details.

1. Unless you have a very strange way of using a computer I guess that your hand/mouse are faily close to it, so it must be on your desktop/work unit, and not on the floor? I assume you are feeling warm air?..............if it is radiant heat I would say your box is just about to fry

2. If hot air is the case, it sounds like you have a front mounted fan(s). In which case it/they is/are mounted wrong way round?...fans at the front should suck air IN. This is particularly true if their job is to cool the hard drive. They should take air in, to be exhausted at the back.

3. Try an exhaust fan (about $5). It will take up a PCI slot but will clear 40-60 cfm of air out the back.

4. Make sure that there is at least 12" between the box and the wall........24" would be better.

5. If you don't want to fry your HDD a special mounting with fans is an idea........I guess they are around $10?

6. Tidy up the cables with those little ties, and make sure that the flat ones are not impeding airflow.

Cheers

EDIT...........guess I type rather slooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww?

Could the heat be hot air blowing back from the wall behind your base unit?

Re: Hot!!!

Originally posted here by 01001101
    Sometimes i notice that my computer gets really hot. i can feel the heat coming from the computer when im using my mouse sometimes. any suggestions?
    What kind of system do you have? AMD or Intel processor? AMD's run hotter on average.

How hot is it in the room? The computer can only suck in the air around it and if it is hot in the room, its going to be a lot hotter in the unit.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Re: Re: Hot!!!

Originally posted here by CXGJarrod

What kind of system do you have? AMD or Intel processor? AMD's run hotter on average.

How hot is it in the room? The computer can only suck in the air around it and if it is hot in the room, its going to be a lot hotter in the unit.
    This is true. I try keeping my room where all my computers are at around 50 degrees. its winter time almost and I still have a window open letting in cool air and a desk fan pointed at one of my Linux machines jsut to help out with air flow.

It would really help though if you told us the processor you used.

i would recommend not to have your computer under a desk because that thends to get really hot and be sure that the case is not really close to the wall or desk that trraps the hot air and it just goes around in circles, i recomend to putmore fans to your case or if you don't have small childrens around were you have your computer take of the case and p ut a fan or two.

Thumbs up thanx everyone

im running an Intel pentium 4 processor. the pc is under a desk and i just relized theres a fan on the side of it and it blows out air so thats were the heat is coming from so i think i solved my problem
    I AM FROM CANADA.....AND THEY THINK I AM SLOW EH!

/me being picky:

The CPU... guys what are we refering to as the CPU? I keep hearing "my CPU is hot" "where is the CPU".. the CPU is your bloody Central Processer Unit.. not the Bloody system Case.. we are Nerds not 2bit teachers in a Queensland state school.. these bugger refer to the system Case as the Hard drive and the monitor as the computer.. Fark....

anyhow.. I gotta get my horseless carriage going.. to get to work

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Smile

In addition it is extremely difficult to fry a P4, something which in contrast is very easy to do with an AMD chip.

Two reasons for this:

Firstly, AMD chips run a hell of a lot hotter than their Intel equivalents.
    So an AMD system needs more cooling than a P4 system.

Secondly, P4 chips have an internal thermal control circuit which will reduce the clock speed if the P4 decides that it is getting too hot.
    In extremis, it will actually shut itself down completely to prevent itself going into self destruct mode

Old Fart

Re: Hot!!!

Originally posted here by 01001101
    Sometimes i notice that my computer gets really hot. i can feel the heat coming from the computer when im using my mouse sometimes. any suggestions?

I've noticed that in summer it gets really hot when I step outside on sunny days. Can anyone tell me whats up with this??
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...