Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disabling netware

disabling netware

when i boot up at tafe instead of windows login i get novell netware login. how can i disble this temporarily. id like to use the windows only login even if i dont have network conectivity.
    If you can cheat and get away with it you deserve to win

I believe that you would have to uninstall the client in order for the login screen not to come up.

I've tried in the past to bypass the login screen without success. Even if you removed IPX/SPX from your adapter, the login prompt will still come up.

Good luck!
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\" - Oscar Wilde

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    If it's the Netware client there (IIRC) is an option to log in locally. Which client version is it, which novell and is it the MS Netware Client or the Novell Netware Client?

However, that said, you said it was at TAFE (Educational center?). Wouldn't disabling the client violate the AUP for TAFE? Why not ask an admin for help?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

im doing a security audit on my tafe network for an end of year assignment/project and have authorisation to do so. The main aim is to prove that the network is insecure without the help of admins or any extra knowledge that can be easily obtained either via websites,tuts,forums etc.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    ...prove that the network is insecure without the help of admins or any extra knowledge that can be easily obtained either via websites,tuts,forums etc.
    Uh huh. And so you posted here?

Might want to do some searches for Nomad (I think that's what they were called). And discover what a good port scanner can do.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

sorry what i meant was with knowledge that can be found easily.
    and about the port scanner ive done all the footprinting and scanning etc. im doing the local exsploits atm.

there is no need to remove the netware log in. all you need to do is tick the option in the login screen "workstation only". this will allow you to log in to the system using the local account. if its part of the domain, then you need to select if you want to log in to the machine locally or log into the domain. this can be selected from one of the tabs in the advanced options. if you need any more information, you can PM me and I'll try to help out. I am the admin of a mixed novell and windows network so i guess i should have the information you need.

well what im ultimately trying to do is use pwdump3 to extract the 2k password hashes locally. im pretty sure the reason it doesnt work is the novell login methods are used rather than windows.

Remove the Novell Client from MS Networking in Control Panel
    (and IPX if installed)

Then delete NETDET.INF - that's where the tie-in to Novell & NIC happens

Restart computer

for those of u that are interested i learnt that using pwdump2 works perfectly because u dont need to login