Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sibling protection...again

try turning off the dhcp server. make the internal network 10.0.0.0/16 the router 10.0.0.1 and manually assign your computer 10.0.0.2
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

WOW, thanks for all the input. I think if i turned the DHCP off, my internet wouldnt work (RR requires it--tried to turn it off). As for assigning him an IP address, he could then come into my office and change the ports (ex. move from 192.168.0.3 to .0.4). When his connection is plugged in I can view his mac address, so Im wondering if there is a way to block that out. As for the "limiting internet action" this router does NOT have that feature, it can only block keywords. Attached are some more forms that are available for me to fill out...
    PS to those who are wondering, the firmware is updated as well.
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

Elite Hacker
    I have this thing under the advanced tab under filters. Look for something like this when you access the router from your web browser:

edit:
    sorry for the image size and long download time.

Originally posted here by h3r3tic
    I have this thing under the advanced tab under filters. Look for something like this when you access the router from your web browser:

edit:
    sorry for the image size and long download time.
    LOL funny you mention Dlink....reason why I say that is I paid 90 bucks for the Netgear router, and at my business I bought a Dlink router. The Dlink, though "unusual" in configuration for programs, was cheaper then this Netgear but 70 dollars (I spent 20 on the Dlink). However, I do not have that option under my Netgear box, and I really can not undo my connections to my business, as I operate a security system through the internet etc. and run an internet cafe. I suppose I *could* unplug all the wires and redo the routers but I really dont wanna. Unfortunatly, Im afraid that will be my only option. That looks EXTREMELY promising as to what I need. Thanks h3r3tic.

Elite Hacker
    Why do you want to take away his internet access anyway, you know he is just going to get mad when you do it and in the end you will probably just have to give it back to him. A simpler solution would be to take out the ethernet cable and throw it away or lock it in a safe. Also I was looking at your pics in the .zip file and saw the trusted zone thing. Don't you have something opposite to that which you can put his IP in. And you should be able to set a rule if you have a firewall to deny all traffic inbound and outbound of his IP.
    Good Luck

To make a long story short and to briefly explain why he is being "punished"...he pissed me off, and since we own a house together, we split the bills together. He doesnt want to pay half the bill so I am now requiring him to pay me half, or no internet access. He doesnt like to share, so neither will I basically. As for the trusted stuff etc, there is no form to fill out whatsoever about denying people. Really sucks, and I think Ill have to write to netgear and ask them to update the firmware.

Edit- If I took his cables away he would buy more, and I cant take his nic card away since its built into the motherboard. Cant access his PC cuz he has a password. Essentially--screwed.

There is a little program called chntpwd. It allows you to change the admin password without actually knowing what it is for Windows NT, 2000, and XP. In case you forgot your password.

Elite Hacker
    try turning off the dhcp server. make the internal network 10.0.0.0/16 the router 10.0.0.1 and manually assign your computer 10.0.0.2
    Noia
    he was talking about turning off the dhcp for the lan. I believe you turned off receiving your ip from RR. Turn it back on to receive from the wan, and disable it on the lan, then you should be able to assign yourself a static IP and your brother won't know why his connection doesn't work. If he knows about the configuration, he may be able to assign himself a static ip though. Also, to get a static IP I think you need your routers DNS and default gateway, which both should be like 192.168.1.1 or something like that depending on your router. I hope you get it sorted out.

Physical world protection is as big as cyber world protection, one is just more exploited.

1. Remove his cord
    or
    2. Lock up the hub in a wooden box that will take you less then 30 minutes to build (if you know what your doing, or just ask a friend who does) with hinges in on the inside, and a master lock on the outside, put the hub in there and drill holes into it so you can run cords in/out of it.

gg siblings.
    Hi.