Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sibling protection...again

Unhappy Sibling protection...again

Ok, so my brother officially pissed me off, and being that I pay for the internet access, he is now removed from the hub. However, there isnt anything stopping him from plugging the ethernet cable back in. Is there a way to block his internet access totally via the router and not his pc (since his pc is password protected). I have a Netgear RP 114 router/firewall. I am running W2K and he is running 98 SE. Any help would be great. Particularly if someone has/knows of a handy program to use.

Access the router via your web browser (I'm assuming you know how to do this, if not check the manual). You should be able to set either an IP or MAC Address Filter to allow only the IP Address of your PC to pass through or you may be able to set up Forwarding to do the same thing. I'm not familiar with all the options on that Netgear Router, but this should be a good start...Good Luck.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Wazz is right about the MAC address filtering. Just find out his NIC's MAC address and you'll be set. IP filtering might not be as effective, as everytime he unplugs then plugs back in, he gets a new IP designation.
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

When I plug in his cable, netgear shows me his mac address. From that point, I have a portion listed called "static route". Think that maybe the place to enter his info?
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

Yeah, I believe that is the place to enter his info....since you could consider a MAC address as static, as it never changes.

double chek

Would you be able to give me some help in filling out the form (what goes where--see attached pic). I think this is where I need to be. Again, Thanks so much.
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

Actually I don't think that is the right table. Could you attach some more pics of some of the setup options you have? I looked on the whitepages and couldn't find much...

You know I just had an epiphany about your router. What you could do, since it is a router, and not a switch (for some reason I was in the switch mode of thinking), you could assign your brother's PC with a local address to your router. ie. 198.162.0.X, and then block that via one of your tables on the router interface. Since your router would be technically 198.162.0.1, but the actual address would be whatever your ISP assigns. I'm not sure if you were in the correct table however. Like in the previous post, if you could send me some more screen shots I'll be able to help you a little better...

What you want to do is find an option called "filter". set up your network to use manually assigned IP's then go to the filter option in your routers box and type in his IP. That should keep him from being able to get on the net.

So bascially, Give him a Ip address of 192.168.1.1 or whatever your using and then block that address at the router.
    =

erm, there should be an internet limiting section in there, I mean, my router is a pretty cheap thingy, and it has this feature.

Look through it, I'm sure his PC's info is stored in the router somewhere, simply use that to block all protocols to his machine.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.