Thread: some advise

some advise

when u install windows...... dont use the defult folders... never do this ... as most Worm based infections. loke for the windows folder in the c:\> or the root... this will improve ur security alot.. since the prog wont find the c:\>windows\sys.... since u will shange the name... it wont find it

this is y 2 of my frnd wer never hit by the worm... they jstu had their windows folders renamed.... lucky bastards

Just Another Geek
    This is called security through obscurity and it will only freak out some badly written programs.

A virus, cracker, whatever can easily find your windows directory by looking at %WINDIR% or by reading a few registrykeys.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Hehe Dice took the words right out of my mouth...

Goto command prompt and type: echo %WINDIR% or %SYSTEMROOT%

Windows has a funny way of knowing too much about itself, and then essentially....screwing itself
    Creating further mindless stupidity....through mindless automation.

as I said it worked for 2 of my frnds... & both of them have a habit or ranaming everything.. and they wer the only 2 who wernt hit my the msblaster It could be a cuinsidence..... but it wierd.....

ther is a pisibility that a programer will put the virii to attack the defult only ...

pS: I know about the %WINDIR% ...... and everything....

maxim_86ualb2

You raise an interesting point IMHO. Whilst the renaming can be beaten by a well designed and well written piece of software, it will defend you against a lot of skiddie activity, generation toolkits etc.

There must be a lot of pressure on a malware "author" to get the "product" to the "marketplace" before someone else does, and steals their glory/infamy. so they may not be well thought out or written?

I would suggest that almost anything you do to make an attack more difficult, is basically a good idea, as you are forcing a greater degree of technical competence on the author of such an attack.

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Originally posted here by maxim_86ualb2

ther is a pisibility that a programer will put the virii to attack the defult only ...

pS: I know about the %WINDIR% ...... and everything....

if you knew about the %WINDIR% what didn't you said so at the first thread, and if you know everything why don't you know why you're friends weren't afected by MSBlaster ? ?

+++ i have a friend that didn't updated his computer when the blaster came out and he hasn't been infected with it, he has a cable modem, he is conected like atleast 6 hrs a day, his computer has win xp pro and in his lap top thats running win 2k pro he got blaster like the 2nd day it started spreading.

maxim_86ualb2 if you know everything tell me, am i going to win the lottery ? ? ? ?
    LOL

man......."GrApHiCTrOn " I didnt mean it that way...... but as a respont to SirDice & Pclinuxguru