Thread: is it possible to build your own laptop

Talking is it possible to build your own laptop

is it??

got any vendors??
    i\'m the guy who bitched out a girl about writting poems in General Chat... Now everyone thinks I hate women and that I\'m gay ... live and learn ... hehe

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    http://discuss.extremetech.com/n/mai...es&msg=39139.1

Depends on how detailed you want to build. If you mean customize I believe both Dell and Apple allow the most flexibility when it comes to customization. If you mean everything from scratch (case, power supply, LCD, etc.) based on the above link.. apparently not.

Could be an interesting project for someone who's really inclinded I suspect.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

u can....... like u can biuld a car..... it will be hard but it will be rewarding ,,,

I looked into doing that just for shits one time and the outcome would have been much more expensive than just buying a package. Granted I was looking for all new parts but the LCD panel by itself was friggin waayyy to expensive.(almost as much as the rest of the system)
    But if you are hell bent on doing (or are a masochist) I would say the best thing to do is look on ebay for repalcement/broken parts. You probably wont end up with a "bleeding edge" laptop but it would still be decent.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=517

the Open Source model doesn\'t offer any great benefit in
    terms of reliability and security. -Bill Gates

put "build laptop" into Google, you should get something like:
    Build a Laptop Holder for Side-lying Computing
    ... bed. It doesn't matter if you use a laptop or a flat screen monitor.
    The ... not cheap! Building a Laptop or Flat Screen Monitor Holder. ...
    aglasshalffull.org/Build_Laptop_Holder.html - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

Build a Laptop Cover for Side-lying Computing!
    ... It's important to keep laptop or flat screen monitor screens out of harm's way. ... I
    made the cover so it would fit on top of the laptop/flat-screen holder. ...
    aglasshalffull.org/Build_Laptop_Cover.html - 22k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from aglasshalffull.org ]

Custom Laptop, Custom Built Laptop, Custom Build Laptop - Best ...
    Custom Laptop, Best price and service for Custom Laptop, Custom Built Laptop, Custom
    Build Laptop, Custom Made Laptop, Cheap Custom Built Laptop Computer and ...
    www.computercaseuk.co.uk/custom-laptop.htm - 50k - Cached - Similar pages

custom build laptop Information about dsl, hitachi, hp, toshiba. ...
    ... More: custom build laptop. custom build laptop. New custom build laptop ... custom
    build laptop. Online guidelines on custom build laptop. ...
    http://www.all-for-pc-and-mac.com/cu...ild_laptop.asp - Similar pages

How to build laptop to use like Otis service tools
    How to build laptop to use like Otis service tools. ...
    www.greenspun.com/bboard/ q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=00Apmo - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

The real thing build laptop computer - Buy Computers Online!
    ... Read more about: build laptop computer! DonĀ“t miss build laptop computer! discount
    build laptop computer online. ... Best wesite for build laptop computer! ...
    computers1.excellent-net-shopping.com/ build_laptop_computer.asp - Similar pages

build laptop order
    Top Searches for build laptop order, build your own laptop build a laptop
    build your own laptop computer. ... Top Used Terms For build laptop order. ...
    www.bsdlaptops.org/build-laptop-order.shtml - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

build laptop pcs special
    Top Searches for build laptop pcs special, build your own laptop build a laptop
    build your own laptop computer. ... Top Used Terms For build laptop pcs special. ...
    http://www.bsdlaptops.org/build-lapt...-special.shtml - 12k - Cached - Similar pages
    [ More results from www.bsdlaptops.org ]

build laptop notebook own
    ... http://www.mypccompanion.com, build your own laptop, ... http://www.notefloat.com/build_your_own_laptop.htm,
    AccessMicro Build Your Own Laptop System, ...
    www.mobile-computing-links.com/ build_laptop_notebook_own.html - 48k - Cached - Similar pages

build laptop - www.laptops-notebooks-computer.com
    www.laptops-notebooks-computer.com - build laptop, We are your discount
    laptop computer shop, we have the best deals on the net. ...
    http://www.laptops-notebooks-compute...ild-laptop.htm - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

i am with maxim_86ualb2
    it'll be " can....... like u can biuld a car..... it will be hard but it will be rewarding ,,," not to mention the money factor strain ,but as said rewarding

I would imagine that it is possible in theory (after all, the manufacturers build them somehow) but it would be much more difficult than building a PC. I certainly wouldn't recommend trying unless you are sure that you have all the right equipment/parts and are especially careful with voltages and the like - I imagine that laptops have less room for errors than PCs would.

It'd be a cool thing to try, and great if you managed to pull it off. However, I can't see it being cheaper than actually buying a laptop (unlike PCs, which are generally cheaper if you build them yourself) and the hassle probably means it isn't worth it.

If you have to ask if it is possible and what vendors you should be using, then it's unlikely that you'd stand a good chance of building a working laptop. If you've got the money and time to spare on such a project, then that's great, but otherwise purchasing a laptop off IBM, Apple or whoever is probably a much better (and less stressful!) option.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

It Is Possible.
    My Dad built a LapTop from scratch 4 yrs back.
    It wasn't the best laptop around but it did the trick.
    He did he's own circuit board and stuff, made a custom hard drive and screen.
    I dont know how much exactly he spent alltogether.
    But it can be done...

Best bet would to search Google, research it all before you lay down the cash.
    And make sure that you are gonna be commited to completing the job, as you don't wanna get half way through then crack the sads over something, and waste that hard earned dollars...

Cheers.

Kwiep
    a friend of mine build some kind of laptop more as a case mod
    he ordered some parts wich don't heat up to much and an lcd screen and started constructing...
    Double Dutch

i have done three of them, it is the hardest, most annoying, massive headacke causing thing that i have ever built and for what the customer paid he could have bought 2 top of the range lap tops!

I would never ever advise anyone to do this, it is not like a pc where you can get an ATX case and get an ATX Mo Bo and violla: You buy a MO Bo that will fit a case and a CD ROM that will fit the case, but then it doesnt fit the mo bo, so you get a new mo bo but then that doesnt fit the case, so you get a new case, but then the new mo bo doesnt support the cpu you want, so yet again you change the mobo, but now the cd rom doesnt fit, so you change this, but now it doesnt fit in the case, so you get a new case, but then the floppy isnt in the right place for the mo bo, so you get a new mo bo, but now the modem doesnt fit, so you get a new case, but now the cd rom doesnt fit, so you get a new cd rom, but now it doesnt fit the case !!!!

DONT DO IT!!! I was reduced to tears by the end of the week i done this!!