Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuSe 8.2 problem

Post SuSe 8.2 problem

Hello , I recently got SuSe 8.2.. When i boot up and it reads the cd i pick installation.. It goes on and reads everything , and it goes straight to text mode and the god damn keyboard doesn't work.. It's getting me mad.. But on my laptop is goes straight to graphical install , I don't get it.. Has this happened to anyone ?
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Make sure that your just pressing enter and not typing anything in when the CD is first read to be booted from. Linux gives you an option to install using the gui, text mode, or a limited VGA install. I believe all you do is just press enter. Make sure You type nothing in.
    =

Are you using a keyboard that has a usb plug on it if so I would try using a keyboard that doesn't have one that might make the difference

Nope regular keyboard no USB cable.. Installation worked fine on laptop... But in laptop when i went as root to edit the /etc/inittab file , i couldn't erase any text and i dont know why it's asking me this.. Still relatively a little new to linux..
    It just keeps going to text mode on my work station and wont let me press anything to confirm anything... Ughh i'll do some googling and respond back later..

Elite Hacker
    Do you have a spare keyboard laying around you could test. Also I had the same problem with editing conf files with redhat. At the shell you should be able to so a su and login as root. Then if you go to the directory of the conf file you could type
    gedit /etc/inittab
    where gedit would be the name of a text editor you have installed on your system. With KDE I think they have kedit.
    Hope that helped.

hei did u use vi ti edit?
    make sure that u r familiar with all the commands and keys in "vi"
    like the insert ha ha
    it was a joke

anyways just try getting familiarised with vi

and if possible try to get a spare ps/2 key from some good old friend of urs and try installation, after that revert to ur usb mode if u have one

good luck
    way to go buddy
    keep it high

lol actually I am very familiar with vi.. But as for my other work station it wont go to graphical install.. When I press enter to go to installation , it just goes straight to text install and I can't press anything..

ok , I got it working on my workstation.. Now like I said before , I can't edit ANY files in vi.. Even as root.. Even if I create a shell script and save it , afterwards vi won't let me edit any files..Anything like this happen to anyone ?

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Did you try opening it or saving it with another editor, for.ex. pico or nano

- nano -w /home/shrekkie/test
    - write something
    - CTRL + O (save)
    - CTRL + X (exit)

Check if you do CTRL + O , you don't see a warning from pico or nano.
    If there's a permission problem, you always still could try the chown command on the file or directory.

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Well nano isn't installed at the moment , but with vi and ex i can't edit ANY files that were saved previously.. I checked the permissions and no go.. I guess i'll keep working on it.. Maybe one of you SUsE geeks had this problem before ?