Thread: Could be a Virus??

Could be a Virus??

Hi.
    In the company I work for, we have a lan network set up. We recently had a problem. Suddenly When a user makes a file in either word or excel, let's say its size is 23K and then he is gonna send the file through exchange or outlook the file is now 2MB.
    Anybody has an idea of what it could be??
    any help is appreciated...
    Thanx in advance.
    \"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm...

Did you try using Norton? or an other virus scanner. It sounds like malicious Macro code could be to blame, but don't jump to conclusions.
    \"The wise programmer is told about Tao and follows it. The average programmer is told about Tao and searches for it. The foolish programmer is told about Tao and laughs at it.
    If it were not for laughter, there would be no Tao.\"

G'day Cyberlord, This Online virus scanner has been recommended many times on this site. Might be of help.
    Sorry can't help you more. cheers.TidaLphasE23........

Seems to something fishy going on...(pun intended Tidalphase).

Anyway, use a virus scanner to check the system. If you havent got one then you can use the online one as mentioned by tidalphase or if you want a from one AVG free Anti virus program

[/quote]if you want a from one [quote] was supposed to be "if you want a free one"

Hi,

Check for viruses by all means....it never does any harm, but my initial gut feel is that it is too large?

23k to 2Mb? A lot of ISP/mail providers would reject an attachment that size and viruses want to spread?

Try zipping (compressing) the file.

Off the top of my head, a simple error is to prepare a document for general distribution, do a copy & paste from a disribution list into "cc" That will add ALL THE ADDRESSES to the header record and take a single word up to two megs with ease.

The answer is send the item to yourself ( "To") and use "BCC" BLIND COPY to the others

My initial view is NOT A VIRUS....it is much too large?

Keep us posted

Cheers

23k to 2Mb? A lot of ISP/mail providers would reject an attachment that size and viruses want to spread?
    makes sense but adding about more than 200 names to the list of addressees does not increase the file size by as much as cyberlord noticed. I have outlook and I have already tried it with ore than 200 names. Although that might be the case with a different mail prog. i used outlook 2k to try it out on.

Anyway, like nihil said just run the scan cos you never know and then let us know the outcome and maybe someone here can cmoe up with something else.

no.. i don't think it's a virus.. I've seen this mentioned somewhere before and for the life of me I can't find where I saw the explanation.. it has to do with embeding stuff within the files and it's links to other places... no.. that's not a good interpretation..

read a bit of the stuff you see in this link from google's groups.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...il&sa=N&tab=wg

I think sumdumguy may be correct (if there is no virus found). The document could be importing objects, clip art, templates, etc. from the Office Directory..."linking" to them if you will. I'm not sure if this is the case though...have you tried to create a new Word or Excel document with only a couple of lines of text and sending it? Try that just to see if the file size increases with no formatting on it or not....good luck.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

We have Trend Micro OfficeScan Antivirus and it doesnt detect any virus.
    And I think It's a virus cuz it happens just in one floor of the building.
    And the files being sent through email doensnt contain files or links to any file so I dont find an answer to this kind of problem.
    Any suggestions????
    \"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm...

Well, as long as your virus definition files are up to date, what I would do is uninstall Office on the local machines that this is happening to, and reinstall. Hopefully if it is a virus it will be isolated within the Office files themselves and not Windows. Good Luck......
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey