Thread: Java Exception Error while posting

Java Exception Error while posting

Hi,

not sure if this is a bug or it has something to do with my java (is newest java plugin from sun on windoze machine using IE 6 SP1) security settings or the fact that I connect through a proxy but here is the error message:

#Begin error message
    Application Version=3.5.5b

java.lang.NumberFormatException: null

at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Unknown Source)

at net.xde.SpellChecker.a.<init>(a.java)

at net.xde.SpellChecker.u.<init>(u.java)

at net.xde.SpellChecker.SpellCheck.init(SpellCheck.java)

at sun.applet.AppletPanel.run(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    #End of error message

Does this occur every time you post, or just once? It may just be a one-off error (I occassionally get PHP errors when viewing a topic), although that's no excuse really.

I'm using the latest Java Virtual Machine (the one that comes with the SDK 1.4.2) and it's never caused a problem with IE6 SP1 on XP or 2000 for me.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

It occurs every time I post, I didn't install SDK I have only the plugin installed and it's not XP its '98 SE windoze.

I guess the error is from the SpellChecher java application (I checked the java thread and this was the only one running:

#begin java thread list
    Group http://www.antionline.com/spellcheck...=2,agc=0,pri=4
    thread applet-net.xde.SpellChecker.SpellCheck.class,4,alive
    AWT-EventQueue-2,4,alive
    #end java thread list

Some interesting system properties:
    java.runtime.name = Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
    java.runtime.version = 1.4.1_05-b01

Is there an option do disable the spellchecker start from user options?

I don't think there's an option to disable the spellchecker, but I could be wrong (I tend to use the 'quick reply' option instead, so I rarely see the fully featured reply page).

Try downloading the latest version (1.4.2) of the VM from java.com - from the runtime version you specified it looks like you might be using a beta version (the -b01 part, although I suppose that might stand for build) and see if that solves the problem

Ok went there and saw that there is another version, this is weird since I did check for a new version with "Get Java Update" button and it said that I have the latest version, I'll check it again.

Sorry, I must be blind but I didnt see a "quick reply" button anywhere while reading the posts. ==> oups sorry seen it now after using "post reply"

Another thing - is not a bug but I suggestion: I get my "new posts" notification by mail and it send me to read them not logged in. I suggest that after I log into the forum to get back on the post or open the "reply" window (something that is in phpBB). I hope i explained it well.

And yet another thing: I didnt see a logout button on the Home page or while reading the posts but only in the "Post reply" - maybe this can be considered too.

I dont know about the java error, I personaly never experienced it.
    There is however a 'logout' link on the main page, it is the last one in the 'member functions' block just below 'change password'.

I know the problem you are referring to with regards to following links to topics in emails. There is a way round this - simply go to the AO home page and login, then follow the links from your email and it should work correctly. I've asked before for the login form to work as a redirect to the page you were previously viewing, I'm pretty sure that JP got it working but it seems to have slipped back to its previous state.

I think the logout link should be a bit more prominent and included on every page within the forums - I dislike having to go back to the home back and then scroll half way down to find what is a very tiny logout link.