Thread: Giving it to the masses

Giving it to the masses

This is rather nifty, I checked it out the first weekend thinking it was a promotional stunt but two months later the service is still up and a call to tech support told me that they do not have any plans of ending the service anytime soon.

WiFi NOW AVAILABLE
    USA Datanet is now offering free Wireless Internet Service to Downtown Syracuse, New York. On Monday, August 18, 2003, USA Datanet went live during a live local broadcast. Anyone outside in range of the Wireless signal can get online for free and surf the web. Stay tuned for WiFi in your area....coming soon.
    This service is provided to downtown Syracuse known as Armory Square. It is such an excellent idea but man o' man can you say script kiddie playground. None the less, I will go there tonight and get a sandwich and see what its all about again.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

I read something in the NYT about this same type of thing in NYC, possible near Central Park. I think it is a great idea. I do not think there will be as many script kiddies as you think because you have to buy a laptop with wireless access to use it. And most script kiddies are under 20 and most likely, at least I think, that they do not have enough money to buy a computer like that. I got a desktop, but I had to make a deal with my parents and I had been saving up for years. Either way it will be a great learning experience and perhaps a library would be built with a large atrium like area in the middle, and have laptops that you could check out and use there.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    LOL,

I find this extremely humorous because with a copy of netstumbler and some time on your hands, you can find free internet access anywhere in the world, but particularly in your own neighborhood. With the volume of WAPs in use and the sheer stupidiy of the people setting them up, you usually have your choice of several networks to associate with at any given time. The best thing is that you wont have the script kiddie problem or even a bandwidth issue if you follow what I'm saying .
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

There are lots of free public wireless access points all over the place, especially in urban environments. Try http://www.nodedb.com/ , http://www.nycwireless.net/ , http://www.seattlewireless.net/ , etc. See, some people are *nice*.

Thats very cool of these places to offer free services such as this. I did not realize that there where so many that offered it. Cool links, thanks. =)
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]