Thread: Project Suggestion...

Project Suggestion...

Well I am into ma final year..and I have one complete year to do a project. Now that would be great help if someone could suggest for a project.It has to be computing and algorithim rich.If its network oriented that would be a great project to do ..coz my major area of intrest is networks and system administration. I have a couple of suggestions.Any comments on them would be welcomed.
    1) Well...what if I re write the TCP/IP protocol for Linux and involves some encryption at transport layer. Comments invited.
    2) What if a mechanical arm can be developed
    using a stepper motor for six degree of freedom.Comments Invited.
    3) What if a browser can be developed with some hi-fi functions.Comments Invited.
    4) What about writing a mail or web server in C that can handle and cater request, something like apace or Tomcat. That could be a good project. As it can be commercially applicable as well.Comments invited
    5) What f a compression algorithim can be written that can compress things with efficiency.
    THANX for reading. Please reply with your comments and suggestions. I ll be looking forward to it. Thank you once again.
    Bye
    Ommy

you seem to have ideas already why don't you develop them ? ? ?

Hi, I am NOT the best person to answer your question, but I have one suggestion:

Do a google search for the various areas you are interested in, then search within results for "freeware".

A lot of graduates/postgrads publish their work, as they are not allowed to sell it.

This may sound a bit like "cheating", but don't all great scientists build on the work of those before them?

For example........would there be "science" without math.............yet accountants use it?

Good Luck

Banned
    A lot of graduates/postgrads publish their work, as they are not allowed to sell it.
    I not only sold the product of graduate project, but I eventually sold the company that sold the product.
    There are no laws restricting this. Why would there be? It's not like the school is paying you, the other way around in fact.

As for your comments about freeware, good call.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
    -Albert Einstein.

catch

Hi Catch!

Yes, you are right, it is the difference between educational funding huh?.........I must come across as a total @$$hole as I know nothing about American systems .

Over here you are generally funded by the National Government, your University, your local Education Authority. That project you do is in "the public domain".

If you have to pay for education, we are the same, it is your intellectual property.

Thanks again for the insight

Cheers

str34m3r
    Compression is always a computationally intense project, but generic file compression has been done again and again and again and again and again (sensing a theme?). Try selecting one specific type of data and compressing that. Compression of raw tcpdump data could provide an interesting challenge. Due to the very repetitive nature of the packets headers, you could probably get quite a bit of compression out of it. Then you could compare the compression ratio of your algorithm with other conventional compression algorithms and also see how your algortim fares when combined with the more conventional algorithms.

well thank you str34m3r and thank you all..it was indeed great help...as fara as projects are concerned.here in Pakistan you are supposed to pay the insitiute andt he project will be the property of the institute...nothing more to do
    Unfortunate!!!
    ha
    Bye
    Ommy